What should I do Before I give up programming?

Reaction score
I'm in the verge of giving up programming and wondering what could I do before I give up to make sure I did what everyone did.

I've a bachelors degree in computer science. I didn't do it as well as I'd have liked to do, but that degree has gave me familiarity with most terms used in basic programming.

I spent last 3 months working on web development(I'm learning MERN). I learnt html,css,bootstrap, javascript and react till date(In bootcamp), but I failed to learn React. Even javascript, i'm no expert at. Even css, I learnt the basics but I'm not an expert when it comes to building half decent sites. Same for bootstrap. I can carve a site using html,css,bootstrap but it won't look good. I was completely impossible to learn when it came to react. Whenever I saw usage of useEffect and useState hooks and we start making changes in 10 different files for it, it confused me and I understood nothing.

I had access to world's best resources to learn books, tutorials, blogs, youtube, udemy etc. I had access to forums like this to get help and support but still this was tough for me.

I feel unlucky, sad and hopeless atm. Friends who were weaker than me in conventional college studies and academia have done jobs and internships but I'm failing to even learn something properly. I'm not jealous of them but just feel trash about myself.

People say do projects to learn but I really don't know how that works. For eg: https://codepen.io/pelko/pen/MWBpNmL This project. I make stupid stuffs like these and can't produce a good output that is playable. It's too hard for me.
These are some of my projects.

I did all these projects without looking any tutorials.

I keep forgetting how I built something time and again. I nowadays try my best to add documentation though.

I'm 70% sure to give up programming but still I"d like to make sure I follow advices from fellow forum users about it who've spent their life around programming.

In 3 months, I am seeing no progress, except few days like:

1) When I carved a site on my own using html,css without looking tutorials.

2) When I carved a site on my own using bootstrap without looking tutorials.

My problems:

1) I've not break through'ed in programming. If I can make anything with javascript that's over 500 lines of code, I'd consider that a breakthrough. I'm aware LOC aren't a good metric but please try to understand what I'm trying to say. A big application using programming.

2) Even in css, I failed to make presentable sites. The coding bootcamp I feel is going too fast as well. Same for bootstrap, I made sites but I failed ot create beautiful sites. People recommend me frontendmentor.io but IDK what to do there? It looks sketchy to me. If there is something that can teach me css, I'd be so grateful.

3) After watching tutorials, I can't repeat what they've done in tutorial without watching the tutorial of project even though I understand each and every step they do in project.

4) I still am not fluent in ES6. I can't think in ES6. Arrow functions, map, reduce etc. I Understand them, but using them is different ballgame.

If you understand my situation, please guide me. I don't need roadmaps, any more tutorials but plain old guidance and advice on what to do by people who went through this situation

Reaction score
You have a degree in computer science and you're messing around with html, css etc.?
Is that your actual portfolio?
What kinds of things do computer science people do?

"what could I do before I give up to make sure I did what everyone did."
You shouldn't try to be like everyone else. that could be your problem.

Reaction score
I mean make sure to do what everyone else did when they felt programming was so hard for them.

Reaction score
First of all coding isn't that hard...I mean at the beginning everything new is going to be hard until you gain some sort of understanding. You're suffering from IO (internet overload) - too much information input hampering the ability to create usable output. In short, it's a brownout caused by too many voices, ideas, information on what everyone else in the world thinks you should be doing etc. Point is take a step back and RELAX.

"I mean make sure to do what everyone else did when they felt programming was so hard for them."
Most quit! So you're on right track! (hehehe) Then months or years later are trying to pick it up again. Others pushed through to find that one thing that made the difference for them (for me that was javascript, what a blast).

"People say do projects to learn but I really don't know how that works."
Basically it works because it shows you that the impossible is possible! I mean what may be impossible for you right now (a project that you want to build but don't know how) becomes possible when you break it into smaller pieces, getting one piece at a time to work. How do you think all these large applications started...right-out-of-the-box? Someone had to break things down into more manageable pieces. There's also examples of this all throughout this and other forums.

You need to reassess whats you want:
1. Why did I want to get a degree in computer science?
2. What can I do with computer science?
ask these types of questions about each language you learned and why,
if(respsonse=='negative'){ go find something you will enjoy; }
else{ narrow it down to one or two things and GO FOR IT!; }

see coding can be fun! hehehe

Reaction score
Im currently in University so please take what I say with a grain of salt. From the projects you posted here I feel your biggest issue is that you are not putting enough time or thought into your projects. The first thing you need to understand is that having more projects does not mean better. The best thing is to make one project as best as you possibly can and then when you are truly satisfied with the result and you think you could take this project to your dad and he would be impressed then you should move onto the next one. It seems to me you start on one get bored move to the next. OR you might find yourself getting stuck somewhere and saying screw it and again just moving on. I feel rather you need to put more effort and CREATIVITY into these websites. Make them more interactive, then find ways to make your code more efficient. The best way I could put this into perspective is the coding website you made. On that website you aren't able to really interact at all with any of the buttons you created. I am not tryna say to this to shit on you but rather let you know maybe thats why these topics aren't sticking in your brain as well.

Reaction score
you need a new starter.

what will give you the energy to achieve ?

Coding is lot lot lot of tools, componants, features, learn and master one new technology.

Choose one new topic, dig it deep. and become an expert !

stay aware that you are a 'junior', and only hours and years about working in IT/coding will lead you to be a 'senior coder'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You must not give up, as they say hardwork pays that no pain no gain you have a computer science degree which i wished to have but still you're giving in all your effort;
let me tell you a secrect of me, i just started coding 2yrs back while teaching my self downloading app reaching out to tutorials online but you know what i anly used a phone till now i'm still using a low-classed device not a samsung, ios, redmi; but a phone from the itel.co but i haven't given up yet just look up your self and getup put your hads on the keyboard of your laptop/pc
Their's a huge difference btn a mobile phone and pc
i'll send you some of my projects i did for my self they are not that compelling but something to be considered good.
I guedd it will motivate you and beside i will be glad to help you out
Besode that i'm just a beginner level webdeveloper
Don't give up

Ask a Question