"sem_post: Invalid argument"

robert

On a server the binary (red hat) installed python2.4 and also a
fresh compiled python2.5 spits "sem_post: Invalid argument".
What is this and how can this solved?

Robert

==============

server [~]# python2.4
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 6 2006, 21:10:41)
[GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54)] on linux2
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
sem_post: Invalid argument
server [~]# uname -a
Linux server 2.4.34.1-p4-smp-bigmem-JWH #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 03:26:57
JST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
server [~]#

Jonathan Gardner

On a server the binary (red hat) installed python2.4 and also a
fresh compiled python2.5 spits "sem_post: Invalid argument".
What is this and how can this solved?
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 6 2006, 21:10:41)
[GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54)] on linux2
server [~]# uname -a
Linux server 2.4.34.1-p4-smp-bigmem-JWH #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 03:26:57
JST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Are you sure you have compatible binaries? Or did you install a random
RPM without checking for dependencies?

robert

Jonathan said:
On a server the binary (red hat) installed python2.4 and also a
fresh compiled python2.5 spits "sem_post: Invalid argument".
What is this and how can this solved?
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 6 2006, 21:10:41)
[GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54)] on linux2
server [~]# uname -a
Linux server 2.4.34.1-p4-smp-bigmem-JWH #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 03:26:57
JST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Are you sure you have compatible binaries? Or did you install a random
RPM without checking for dependencies?

Should be compatible - but I am not sure if the kernel was
recompiled on this machine. And at least the fresh ./configure'ed
and compiled py2.5, which yields the same problem, should be
maximum compatible. Maybe because this machine is a "smp-bigmem" ..

Robert

Jonathan Gardner

Jonathan said:
On a server the binary (red hat) installed python2.4 and also a
fresh compiled python2.5 spits "sem_post: Invalid argument".
What is this and how can this solved?
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 6 2006, 21:10:41)
[GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54)] on linux2
server [~]# uname -a
Linux server 2.4.34.1-p4-smp-bigmem-JWH #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 03:26:57
JST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Are you sure you have compatible binaries? Or did you install a random
RPM without checking for dependencies?

Should be compatible - but I am not sure if the kernel was
recompiled on this machine. And at least the fresh ./configure'ed
and compiled py2.5, which yields the same problem, should be
maximum compatible. Maybe because this machine is a "smp-bigmem" ..

At this point, I would start digging into the error messages
themselves. Maybe a shout out to the developers of whatever code is
generating that error message. When you understand under what
conditions that error message is thrown, perhaps it will yield some
insight into what python is doing differently than everything else.

robert

Jonathan said:
Jonathan said:
[...]

In the Python2.4 sources just this piece causes the sem_post error
message:

void
PyThread_release_lock(PyThread_type_lock lock)
{
sem_t *thelock = (sem_t *)lock;
int status, error = 0;

dprintf(("PyThread_release_lock(%p) called\n", lock));

status = sem_post(thelock);
CHECK_STATUS("sem_post");
}

=======
ERRORS

The sem_post() function will fail if:

[EINVAL]
The sem does not refer to a valid semaphore.
=======

with EINVAL - to me the only remaining reason is somehow a wrong
sem_t memory layout - in the C compiler header file on this rented
server - though the lock was established ok!?? ...