Semi OT: Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV

kayodeok

Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2004/09/09/

In connection with the International Broadcasting Convention
(IBC) 2004, Opera Software today unveiled a new edition of its
screen rendering technologies, this time tailored for the
television. TV Rendering (TVR) makes the necessary adjustments
to perfectly display any Web page on any TV screen, opening up
for a great Internet experience on TV sets for the first time.

With Web pages being designed for viewing on high-resolution
desktop computer monitors, TV screens with their low
resolution and varying screen sizes have not been able to
emulate a satisfactory Internet experience. Today's release of
TVR for the first time introduces users of broadband enabled
set-top boxes (STB), or other iTV related hardware, to the
potential of full Internet browsing that is as true and
content-rich as experienced with desktop computers. TVR
focuses on pixelation and problematic colors, adapting
different elements individually to suit the TV screen.
Original fonts, colors, design, and style are left virtually
untouched.

Michael Winter

Oh shit. Just when we were almost getting used to the problems in
*browsers*

Look at it this way: at least it wasn't Microsoft that released it. :D

Seriously though, is there a lot to worry about? The press release just
states that TVR makes Webpage rendering better on a TV. If it also uses
embedded Opera 7, or some other well-behaved software[1], to layout the
page, would this technology cause significant problems?

Mike

[1] I'm not saying that the embedded Opera browser is well-behaved; I've
never used it. However, at least Opera is one of the better browser
developers around.

Jim Higson

rf said:
Oh shit. Just when we were almost getting used to the problems in
*browsers*
:-(

No problem. Given the choice I'd support *ten* Opera derivatives over just
version six of IE.

I've never seen a standards respecting site badly broken in a recent Opera
browser.

Jeffrey Silverman

[1] I'm not saying that the embedded Opera browser is well-behaved; I've
never used it. However, at least Opera is one of the better browser
developers around.

FWIW, Opera Emberdded is about as well behaved as opera 7 proper.

I've seen it in use on a handheld device (Sharep Zaurus SL6000) and it is
a very capable browser.

Jurgen2087