sendmail unicode problem

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Supra, Jul 14, 2008.

  1. Supra

    Supra Guest

    Hi,

    I'm using the following code to send an email from a form on a PHP page. If
    there're unicode characters in message body, they get carried over fine in
    the email sent out, however if there are some in the subject or name fields,
    they come out as blanks in the email received. Does anyone know how this can
    be fixed?

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";

    use utf8;
    use CGI;
    $q = new CGI;

    unless(open (MAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail -t"))
    {
    warn "Error starting sendmail: $!";
    }
    else
    {
    print MAIL "Content-type: text/html\;charset=UTF-8\n";
    print MAIL "From: ".$q->param('mail_name')."
    <".$q->param('mail_from').">\n";
    print MAIL "To: name\@email.com\n" ;
    print MAIL "Subject: ".$q->param('mail_subject')."\n\n";
    print MAIL $q->param('mail_body');
    close(MAIL) || warn "Error closing mail: $!";
    }

    Many thanks,

    Julius

    Supra, Jul 14, 2008

  2. 1) Non USASCII characters *in headers* require special encoding:

    use Encode;

    $x="....";
    $x_for_header = Encode::encode('MIME-Q', $x);

    MIME-Q is the best for mostly USASCII strings
    MIME-B is the best for mostly non USASCII strings

    2) Add one extra header to *fully* declare body encoding:
    print MAIL "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n";

    Andrzej Adam Filip, Jul 14, 2008
  4. Are you saying that the only characters that are displayed properly are
    non-Unicode characters? That's odd to say the least! I would have
    assumed that non-Unicode makes even more trouble then Unicode. Also, out
    of curiosity, how did you test that the non-Unicode characters are
    displayed properly?

    I am a bit rusty on email, but Unicode and email used to be a rather
    poor combination. Most email clients don't (didn't?) handle Unicode at
    all and I have a vague memory that even the standard didn't allow
    Unicode in the header fields.
    At the end we had to send email in a different target encoding for each
    locale because there was just no way to find a common denominator. This
    was the one big exception to "use Unicode, dude".

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 14, 2008
  6. Supra

    Supra Guest

    Hi Andrzej, thank you very much! You're a star!!!

    Supra, Jul 15, 2008
  7. Supra

    Supra, Jul 15, 2008