Serial spammers

Alf P. Steinbach

* Alf P. Steinbach:
* Jerry Coffin:
[ ... ]
Argh, perhaps I should write one, in C++. ;-)

My advice would be to consider writing a filtering new server instead.
I.e. it connects to a news server of your choice, filters out whatever
you don't want, and your newsreader connects to this local news server
to collect its filtered feed of the news.

This should reduce the effort considerably, and be pretty easy to make
(mostly) portable -- not to mention making adoption a lot easier since
its only affect on the user would be the lack of spam.

Yeah, but it's not as fun. :)

Anyways, I see else-thread that one such evidently already exists,
<url: http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/>.

And of old there was Hamster (not sure about download and never used it)
and NewsProxy, <url: http://www.nfilter.org/>, used in combination.

Possibly this might help some readers: <url:
http://www.clarionmag.com/cmag/v9/v9n02hamster.html>

Cheers,

- Alf

Artemus Ward

Bill Davy said:
Jarrick Chagma said:
This newsgroup has become almost unusable thanks mainly to one serial
spammer. Can't anything be done to stop them?
[...]

They all seem to come from Organization: http://groups.google.com but OE
does not seem to permit filtering on Organization.

Can anyone recommend a good newsreader programme that does allow that
filtering?
You can add filtering to OE and other readers, see here:
http://www.nfilter.org/

A newer maintained fork available here:
http://www.exscientia.org/akula_tools/index.html

Some filter suggestions here:
http://bearware.info/NewsProxy/newsproxy.html
(see google-groups section)

Direct your program and filtering questions to the <alt.comp.freeware>
newsgroup for more info.

If you are looking for a 'better' news reader, try asking over in the
<news.software.readers> newsgroup.

Default User

Bill said:
They all seem to come from Organization: http://groups.google.com but
OE does not seem to permit filtering on Organization.

Can anyone recommend a good newsreader programme that does allow that
filtering?

XanaNews can filter on anything in the header (there's a catch-all for
anything not explicitly available). Again, I would NOT do that. There
are valuable contributors like James Kanze and Nick Keighley that use
GG to post.

Brian

Jerry Coffin

[ ... ]
Argh, perhaps I should write one, in C++. ;-)

My advice would be to consider writing a filtering new server
instead. I.e. it connects to a news server of your choice, filters
out whatever you don't want, and your newsreader connects to this
local news server to collect its filtered feed of the news.

This should reduce the effort considerably, and be pretty easy to
make (mostly) portable -- not to mention making adoption a lot easier
since its only affect on the user would be the lack of spam.

A Usenet or NNTP caching proxy with filtering, the Leafnode-2,
http://cto.homelinux.net/ports?port=leafnode-devel, a work-in-progess
and Leafnode, http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ stable is already there;
why re-invent the wheel?

BTW, I don't intend detracting anyone from writing a new, tiny, clean,
compact, portable and an efficient NNTP proxy in C++ from scratch.

While it certainly looks interesting, Leafnode isn't quite what I had
in mind. In particular, while it does have filtering, the filtering
appears to be limited to regular expressions. While that's
undoubtedly better than nothing, I don't think it's really the best
way.

I think something a bit more extensible would be more useful. At the
bare minimum, it would include a couple of classes like:

class filter_base {
public:
virtual operator()(std::string const &message) const = 0;
};

class register_filter {
public:
bool operator()(filter_base const *filter);
};

A new spam filter would derive from filter_base. To get it used,
you'd register an instance with register_filter. The registered
filters would then be applied to incoming messages.

Probably a better approach would be to invoke each filter once for a
group of incoming messages. You could, for example, pass a filter an
iterator to the first message in the store, the first new message in
the store, and one beyond the last message in the store. This would
help support statistically-oriented filters that might attempt to
determine whether something was spam based on statistics of the
entire store instead of looking only at individual messages. Using
this approach, it would probably be most natural for the filter to
write out results via an iterator as well.

Of course, if you didn't mind adding some non-portable code, you
could also support filters being implemented in shared libraries
(UNIX) or DLLs (Windows).

Personally, I think filtering on regular expressions does more harm
than good. It never really works well, but it's good enough that it
tends to prevent anything better from being developed either.

Jerry Coffin

* Jerry Coffin:

[ ... ]

[ ... ]
Yeah, but it's not as fun. :)

You have a strange idea of fun! I'll admit, I don't know of any
newsreader I'd consider really great, so I can see a good reason for
writing a better one -- but it's not what I'd consider _fun_, by any
stretch of the imagination.
Anyways, I see else-thread that one such evidently already exists,
<url: http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/>.

Yes, I saw that, and commented on it elsethread. I think it's
probably a good starting point, but (at least based on the
description) I don't think it's currently quite what I'd like to see.

Jerry Coffin wrote:

You have a strange idea of fun! I'll admit, I don't know of any
newsreader I'd consider really great, so I can see a good reason for
writing a better one -- but it's not what I'd consider fun, by any
stretch of the imagination.

XanaNews is open source, but it's written in Delphi. Had it been in C
or C++, I'd have been tempted to hack away to make a few changes.

Brian

David Pratt

Jarrick Chagma said:
This newsgroup has become almost unusable thanks mainly to one serial
spammer. Can't anything be done to stop them?

One thing comes to mind is that maybe a class action lawsuit by the usenet
servers against Google for allowing the spammers such easy access to
accounts, and for not enforcing their own terms of service on proven
spammers, might open the Exec's eyes at Google a little bit.

Nick Keighley

XanaNews can filter on anything in the header (there's a catch-all for
anything not explicitly available). Again, I would NOT do that. There
are valuable contributors like James Kanze and NickKeighleythat use
GG to post.

ah, fame at last! I'd hardly say I was a major contributor to
comp.lang.c++, I know C rather than C++ and have some opinions
on software engineering

Jerry Coffin

[ ... ]
NP, I would love to see a multi-threaded, improved and, or better
NNTP caching proxy in C++; shall/can join hands in bringing it up
ASAP in case you need me :)

Okay. I've done a bit of looking at the link you posted. I'm left
with somewhat mixed feelings. On one hand, it clearly represents a
lot of work, that would be nice to avoid, if at all reasonable. On
the other, my immediate impression is that it's quite a lot larger
and more complex than what I had in mind as the finished product, not
to mention the starting point.

Admittedly, an initial impression of what the size and complexity of
a project _should_ be often matches reality rather poorly. Maybe I'm
being excessively optimistic in guessing that what I had in mind
would end up smaller and simpler. I've downloaded the source code,
and I'm taking a look at it now...

JustBoo

Bill said:
> "IMPORTANT: Thunderbird requires you to have an SFF email account before you
can use the Newsreader functions"

Not quite what I was looking for then.

I'm using Thunderbird (2.0.0.22) right now to view this usenet message
in comp.lang.c++. I don't know what a SFF account is. Is this to allow
programming Thunderbird?