server.execute/response.redirect/server.transfer

David C. Holley

Real quick, please refresh my memory which one of the following
preserves the information that was posted from a form?

server.execute

server.transfer

response.redirect

I need to have a page execute if an error occurs while processing a page
that a form was submitted to and have the data preserved.

Brynn

SHould be server.transfer ... keeps session states and current
transaction states

Brynn
www.coolpier.com

Real quick, please refresh my memory which one of the following
preserves the information that was posted from a form?

server.execute

server.transfer

response.redirect

I need to have a page execute if an error occurs while processing a page
that a form was submitted to and have the data preserved.

I participate in the group to help give examples of code. I do not guarantee the effects of any code posted. Test all code before use!

Brynn
www.coolpier.com

David Holley

Actually, server.execute is working fine for me know. The page to which
the form is posted is actually a script which queries a DB and loads up
some session variables. If the session vars are loaded another page is
called which displays the information from the session vars. If the
session vars aren't loaded a different is loaded which displays the
information that was posted to it. (Its a contingency thing just in case
something unexpected happens.)

(Goto
http://www.gatewayorlando.com/content/transportationFaresResortSelectRat
eSheetV2.asp
Select a resort to see the rate sheet for the hotel and then click on a
destination to book it) If the script succeeds, the reservation form
will be loaded with a rate quote & address information. If the script
fails, the form will still be loaded with the pick-up & drop-off
location already supplied.)

David H

Brynn

As long as you set the session, you should be able to read it from any
of your site regardless of how you get there =)

[...]

Yes, that's very true. However, the process retrieves records from a DB
and then loads the values into the session vars. The contingency is in
place to minimize the impact of a failure in hitting the DB.

Brynn

I understood =) ... I was just saying that whatever you load in there
should be able to be passed from page to page ... REGARDLESS of how
you get from one to the other ... since you are using sessions for the
data.

May I also suggest storing the info as strings rather than recordsets
or arrays ... performance issues with the latter I believe.

Brynn

Yes, that's very true. However, the process retrieves records from a DB
and then loads the values into the session vars. The contingency is in
place to minimize the impact of a failure in hitting the DB.

I participate in the group to help give examples of code. I do not guarantee the effects of any code posted. Test all code before use!

Brynn
www.coolpier.com

David Holley

All recordsets are open & closed on the page that is handling the
processing. If an error occurrs on one of the pages and processing is
shifted to a different page, all of the connections are closed, the
object variables cleared and any relevent information discarded or
passed via session variables.