Server side include problem

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem with server side includes.

Say I have a file called foo.html. For me to use a SSI, I normally just
have in it <!-- #include virtual="includes/ssifile.shtml" --> and that
has worked in the past (it actually works now, but only through a hack
in the apache.conf file on a server, which also seems broken now).

The page causing the problem can be found at

http://www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers-problem.html with the non-SSI
version being www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers.html

Am I doing this right or is there something else I need to do. I have
tried a number of things (such as changing foo.html to foo.shtml and
that does nothing). The server it is on does support SSI.

TTFN

Paul

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Paul F. Johnson said:
Hi,

I seem to be having a problem with server side includes.

Say I have a file called foo.html. For me to use a SSI, I normally just
have in it <!-- #include virtual="includes/ssifile.shtml" --> and that has
worked in the past (it actually works now, but only through a hack in the
apache.conf file on a server, which also seems broken now).

Rename foo.html to foo.shtml and it should work, if SSI is supported on
that server.

--Tina

data64

Say I have a file called foo.html. For me to use a SSI, I normally just
have in it <!-- #include virtual="includes/ssifile.shtml" --> and that
has worked in the past (it actually works now, but only through a hack
in the apache.conf file on a server, which also seems broken now).

The page causing the problem can be found at

http://www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers-problem.html with the non-SSI
version being www.agilenorth.org.uk/callforpapers.html

Try removing the space between <!-- and #include

data64

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,
Try removing the space between <!-- and #include

Change the extension to .shtml and remove the space from the <!-- and
all is well in the world.

Your starter for 10, why is <!-- # and <!--# treated differently?

TTFN

Paul

Arne

Once said:
Hi,

Change the extension to .shtml and remove the space from the <!-- and
all is well in the world.

Your starter for 10, why is <!-- # and <!--# treated differently?

TTFN

Just a guess with my 2 cent. The <!-- is a "start tag" for a comment
in html, and the --> is the ending of the same comment. So the whole
include part from the # to the last " is just a comment that the
server ignores?

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Safalra

Paul said:
Change the extension to .shtml and remove the space from the <!-- and
all is well in the world.

Your starter for 10, why is <!-- # and <!--# treated differently?

Hmm... if I remember correctly <! indicates the start of a markup
declaration, and it's -- that delimits the comment. Presumably --# can
be defined to indicate something else, overriding the normal --? (A
space after -- isn't required in a comment, is it?)