Server side menu problem

EijiTek

Frames, by their nature, are client side objects.

What is your reasoning for wanting navigation to occur on the server? Which
controls are you using in the menu? If I'm following that correctly then
this architecture doesn't make sense to me since navigation itself is also
really a client side operation in that the client requests the page to
navigate to and the server merely provides it back to the client.

If you're doing some type of processing then calling Response.Redirect() or
Server.Transfer(), couldn't you create a redirection page that performs the
appropriate processing then redirects and link to the redirection page? If
you're not doing any processing other than a redirect you should just link
directly to the desired file. In either case, just set the target attribute
to the appropriate frame.

You could probably also get away with setting the target attribute of the
form to the desired frame...

If you're still against using a client based mechanism, then your option
becomes convert the menu to a WebControl and ditch the frames.

Anything you can do to reduce the number of round trips to the server will
improve your application's performance. Doing a postback then
Response.Redirect() results in two round trips. Requesting a redirection
page and calling Response.Redirect results in two round trips. Linking to
the page directly or using Server.Transfer() results in one round trip.

Ohad Young

Hi,

I have a frameset page that contains two frames:
1. the first frame, an aspx page, contains a menu for navigating in the
website.
2. the second frame contains content, pdf, html or other aspx files
The problem is that the menu activates a server-side methods when the user
clicks on one of the menu items.
However, from the server side I cannot control in which frame the content
will appears, it will always be in the menu frame itself.
So, how can I control from a server side function the frame to display the
content?
Is it even possible?
If not, how to avoid it without using client-based menus?

Thanks, Ohad

--
Ohad Young
Medical Informatics Research Center

Eliyahu Goldin

Ohad,

How does your server-side menu navigate to another page? In other words,
when you click on a menu item, what component originates postback? This
component should have property "target" where you can specify the frame
name.

Eliyahu

alon_san

hi ohad, did you find the answer?