Server Times Out with ASPSESSIONID Cookie

mike.biang

I am using the XMLHTTP object to request a page from within another ASP
page. For my scenario, the two pages should operate in the same
session. However, when I request the second page, a new session is
created. This makes sense since it is coming from a different client
(the XMLHTTP object as opposed to my browser).

I've tried to pass the ASPSESSIONID cookie along with the XMLHTTP post,
but every time I pass the valid cookie, the XMLHTTP request times out.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Is what I am trying
to accomplish even possible?

Mike Biang
Cramer Development
(e-mail address removed)

Anthony Jones

I am using the XMLHTTP object to request a page from within another ASP
page. For my scenario, the two pages should operate in the same
session. However, when I request the second page, a new session is
created. This makes sense since it is coming from a different client
(the XMLHTTP object as opposed to my browser).

I've tried to pass the ASPSESSIONID cookie along with the XMLHTTP post,
but every time I pass the valid cookie, the XMLHTTP request times out.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Is what I am trying
to accomplish even possible?

Which object are you using exactly? If you are using MSXML XMLHTTP then
this should include the cookie ASPSESSION cookie in the request.

Is it simply timing out on you for another reason?

mike.biang

Yes, I am using MSXML2 ServerXMLHTTP. When I attempt to pass the valid
sessionID, I receive a server timout error. When the ASPSESSIONID
cookie is invalid (the session ID is not an actual session), I receive
a new session ID and everything functions normally. Could this be a
deadlock issue in IIS? Does IIS requre that scripts execute in serial
for a given session?

For example:
Script 1 begins execution
Srcipt 1 calls Script 2 in the same session
Script 2 blocks until script 1 finishes execution (does IIS process
scripts in this order)?
Script 1 is blocking until Script 2 finishes execution.

Could this be the problem?

Anthony Jones

Yes, I am using MSXML2 ServerXMLHTTP. When I attempt to pass the valid
sessionID, I receive a server timout error. When the ASPSESSIONID
cookie is invalid (the session ID is not an actual session), I receive
a new session ID and everything functions normally. Could this be a
deadlock issue in IIS? Does IIS requre that scripts execute in serial
for a given session?

For example:
Script 1 begins execution
Srcipt 1 calls Script 2 in the same session
Script 2 blocks until script 1 finishes execution (does IIS process
scripts in this order)?
Script 1 is blocking until Script 2 finishes execution.

Could this be the problem?

Yes it most certainly. Sorry I hadn't read you original post properly.

ASP will only process one script for a session at a time. The session
object is single threaded and can therefore only be accessed by one tread at
time. If you don't use Session variables you can switch off the use of the
session object I suspect, although I haven't tried it myself, would allow
multiple ASP scripts to execute in this way since there are no sessions.