Set div height to 100% minus a fixed pixel value?

dorayme

Ben C said:
It is clearly bogus.

Well, I'm not much into this whole possible worlds stuff, but if I were,
this kind of thing might pose some problems.

You'd have to clarify that "the library" and "it" in the sentence, "the
library is bigger than it is" refer to a single thing in only one world.
And for that reason, that sentence is senseless.

But in the sentence "the library might have been bigger than it is" they
have to refer to instances of the same thing in different worlds, and
thus that sentence does make sense.

Except (and this is one of the natural criticisms of the Lewis
theory) if the reference is really to two different things (never
mind that they are instances of some further class or universal),
then it is not *really* the library we are talking about that we
say could have been different. It would, so the criticism would
go, be like saying that Hitler might have been a saint-like
figure because there was another very similar looking character
called Hitler somewhere else who was saint-like. Not quite what
is *meant*, the sense is that the one and only Herr Hitler,
himself, might have been different.

Better rush, I can hear Gus coming... <g>

dorayme

Ben C said:
Ben C said:
[...]
Thanks for the replies on this guys. It's not that complex an idea -
just difficult to explain. What I was asking was exactly like this
example that dorayme set up a few weks back: <http://
dorayme.netweaver.com.au/ciaran.html>
EXCEPT:
If there were too much content in div3 to fit within the height
created by it's absolute positioning, div3 would increase in height to
compensate and divs 4 & 5 would move down beneath the viewport,
creating a scroll on the main page.

dorayme's example with a couple of tweaks:

http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/ciaran2.html

Same thing with lots of content in the middle:

http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/ciaran2b.html

A small further tweak fixes white space between the second div
and the bit that stretches: add 'background: #cfc' to #stretch as
well as your #stretchContents.

With lots of paras, there is a white space at bottom after
scrolling as far down as possible.

Isn't that just the bottom margin on the last paragraph?
And you can't actually get to the end of the content by scrolling
when there is a lot. Try adding to the very last para some
distinctive unique phrase for the doc like "the end" It does not
show on my Safari or Fireworks. Divs 4 and 5 are there OK, it is
just that the content of #stretchContents gets cut off.

Yes, good point. Easily fixed by adding 60px of bottom padding on
#stretchContents. I've fixed the examples above.

Right, very nicely done! Well there you go Ciaran, your every
wish should be satisfied now.

(if this post comes twice, sorry. Having trouble with encodings
etc on new Macbook)