Setting DataFormatString on a textbox

TS

Hello, my project has a custom GridView control (inherited from GridView)
that uses TemplateFields to dynamically add controls based on meta data.
Since they aren't BoundFields I am now having to set DataFormatString on
each individual control but some controls dont have this option. For
DropDownList (and other ListControls) I have DataTextFormatString, but for
textbox and Label, etc i dont know how to set the format string.

for example, i have a textbox that when shown in read mode should show only
the date component of a datetime, so i want to do something like this
{0:MM/dd/yyyy} but dont know how

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi TS,

From your description you have a TextBox in ItemTemplate of the GridView
that shows a date field and want to format the text, right? If so I think
you can try this:

Aspx:
<asp:TemplateField>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"
Text='<%#DateFormat(Eval("theDate")) %>'></asp:TextBox>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>

Aspx.cs:
protected string DateFormat(object input)
{
DateTime dt = DateTime.Parse(input.ToString());
string output = dt.ToString("MM/dd/yyyy");
return output;
}

Please have a try and let me know if it works.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi TS,

Have you tested my code? Can it work?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

TS

thanks Allen, I found a different way to handle that in the binding method I
override in gridViewTemplate.

thanks!