Shared and object References

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tshad, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    I am trying to build a small shared routine that I call in all my pages. I
    don't want to create an object reference as I just want to make a routine
    that I can use to add in code that needs to be executed at the beginning of
    all my pages with having to go change all the pages whenever this is needed.

    Here is the routine I am setting up:
    Imports System
    Imports System.Web
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Web.UI
    Imports System.Web.SessionState
    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    Imports System.Web.HttpCookie
    Imports System.Web.HttpCookieCollection
    Imports System.Web.HttpResponse
    Imports System.Web.HttpRequest
    imports System.Web.HttpContext
    Imports System.Web.HttpApplication
    Imports System.Web.HttpApplicationState
    Imports System.Collections
    Imports FtsData

    NameSpace MyFunctions

    Public Class PageLoad

    Public Shared sub InitialPageLoad ()

    HttpContext.Current.Session("User").LastPageVisited =
    System.Web.HttpContext.Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")

    end sub

    End Class
    End Namespace
    *******

    but I am getting an error on the System.Web.HttpContext.Request:

    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\staffingworkshop\Classes\PageLoad.vb(26) : error BC30469:
    Reference to a non-shared member requires an object reference.

    I just want to get the server variable Path_Info to get the current page.

    How can I do this without setting up an object reference?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jan 9, 2006

  2. tshad

    Guest Guest

    Try:

    Dim context As HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
    If Not context Is Nothing Then
    context .Session("User").LastPageVisited =
    context.Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")
    End If

    There is no Shared Request property of HttpContext object...

    Guest, Jan 9, 2006

  3. tshad

    tshad Guest

    Oh.

    I thought it was compaining that my InitialPageLoad was shared and needed to
    be an object.

    But you're saying I just have to create an object context inside my shared
    routine.

    I'll try that.

    Thanks,

    Tom