Shiftable, ANDable bit vector

Johannes Bauer

Hello group,

I need a bit vector of a fixed size (which may well be known at
compiletime). The requirement is that it should be able to perform the
&, ^, |, ~ and <</>> operations. I.e. something like (pseudocode):

dreamvector<12> x, y, z;

x[0] = true;
x[4] = true;
x[8] = true;
y[4] = true;

z = x & y;
z <<= 3;

Which should result in z being:

CBA9876543210
0000010000000

Is something like this already present in the STL or do I have to
implement it by myself?

Kind regards,
Johannes

Mirco Wahab

Johannes said:
Hello group,

I need a bit vector of a fixed size (which may well be known at
compiletime). The requirement is that it should be able to perform the
&, ^, |, ~ and <</>> operations. I.e. something like (pseudocode):

dreamvector<12> x, y, z;

x[0] = true;
x[4] = true;
x[8] = true;
y[4] = true;

z = x & y;
z <<= 3;

Which should result in z being:

CBA9876543210
0000010000000

Is something like this already present in the STL or do I have to
implement it by myself?

Write

#include <bitset>
#define dreamvector std::bitset

in front of your code.

It should read now:

#include <iostream>
#include <bitset>

#define dreamvector std::bitset

int main()
{
dreamvector<12> x, y, z;

x[0] = true;
x[4] = true;
x[8] = true;
y[4] = true;

z = x & y;
z <<= 3;

std::cout << z << std::endl;

return 0;

Regards

Mirco

Michael DOUBEZ

Johannes Bauer a écrit :
I need a bit vector of a fixed size (which may well be known at
compiletime). The requirement is that it should be able to perform the
&, ^, |, ~ and <</>> operations. I.e. something like (pseudocode):

dreamvector<12> x, y, z;

x[0] = true;
x[4] = true;
x[8] = true;
y[4] = true;

z = x & y;
z <<= 3;

Which should result in z being:

CBA9876543210
0000010000000

Is something like this already present in the STL or do I have to
implement it by myself?

std::valarray seems to implements the operations you look for.
If your need intensive computations, look for the equivalent in Blitz.