Simple Graphs in Ruby?

Shalev NessAiver

Is their any current libraries in ruby that will generate simple
(scatter plot) graphs in ruby?

I looked in RAA and Rubyforge and I got a lot of results - however a
lot of them have a large number
of external dependancies and I'm trying to use this for a simple web
application. As such, I'm not sure
if those external libraries are supported on the majority of web
servers.

Any help/pointers anyone could give would be appreciated.

As a side note, it seems to be very difficult to find quality ruby
libraries right now. Most of the results turned
up are either in alpha, discontinued, or poorly documented. Maybe an
effort should be started to sift through
the available libraries and find the real gems among them. Possibly
something like a list of what library is good
for what purpose?

Anyway... thanks for the help.

-Shalev

Ara.T.Howard

As a side note, it seems to be very difficult to find quality ruby libraries
right now. Most of the results turned up are either in alpha, discontinued,
or poorly documented. Maybe an effort should be started to sift through the
available libraries and find the real gems among them. Possibly something
like a list of what library is good for what purpose?

check out rpa.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Ara.T.Howard

As a side note, it seems to be very difficult to find quality ruby libraries
right now. Most of the results turned
up are either in alpha, discontinued, or poorly documented. Maybe an effort
should be started to sift through
the available libraries and find the real gems among them. Possibly
something like a list of what library is good
for what purpose?

i forgot to mention this

http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/InterestingProjects

specific to science but containing some graphing libs too. i spent a bunch of
time researching these and most/all are currently maintained or stable and
available.

kind regards.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

vanek

you should consider gnuplot. it rocks.
it's not ruby but it may be on your host since gnuplot has been around
for a long time.

Shalev NessAiver

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions/
recommendations. I spent some time with gnuplot and it became
evident that it was both too complex and major overkill for what I'm
trying to do. Basically, I would like to generate simple graphs
(usually scatter plot) and display them as an image in a web page.
The actual graphing would ideally be similar to the type MS Excel
puts out if possible.

I'm sorry for not specifying what I was looking for clearly before.
Any further suggestions on what libraries might be able to do this
would be appreciated.

-Thanks
Shalev

treefrog

I use gnuplot to generate graphs and plots for a web app (rails). It is
pretty bloody straightforward as far as I can see.

regards