simple migration question?

smith

I think that this must have been asked a lot of times but googling isn't
showing anything new or specific to potentials of ASP.Net2.

I'm working for a relatively large eCommerce site, with tech designed back
in the pre-.Net days by very smart people (many ex-microsoft) who coded in
the languages of the day (the heyday of .COMs: ASP, VBScript and VC++ dlls)
much of what ASP.Net does now.

For example, our system does with those older technologies what now is baked
in for session state including saves across the farm and saves across time
via db persistance (oracle but it's the same general deal as the oft'
demonstrated SQLServer options) .

And here's the question. IF this company decides to consider migration to
ASP.Net2 and has to do so without disruption of the site then are there
better options in .Net2 for mixing ASPClassic Sessions with ASP.Net
Sessions? Our sessions are not limited to simple string elements but can
hold COM objects.

There is this msdn page from way back:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/a...library/en-us/dnaspp/html/converttoaspnet.asp

This oldie but goodie shows for .Net1x... but I was thinking that this still
has got to be such a major holdup to commercial sites moving into the .Net
customer-base that the .Net Teams would have tried to add some extra
abilities for 2.0. Is that just wishful thinking on my part or do you have
any pointers?

thanks

Robert Smith
Kirkland, WA