Site Migration Ruined all my CSS??

Joined
Aug 1, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I am really stumped with this one. My site (that hasn't been touched in years, it remains online but no longer is updated) was recently moved to another server. I went to check on it the other day and EVERYTHING is broken.

It makes no sense since nothing has been touched on it.

I use many includes to pull in the CSS/other elements and it appears this is the problem (at least I think it is). I manually updated the links to the includes for the full URL (instead of say: index/header.shtml) but it hasn't resolved the issue.

I am completely lost as to how to even attempt to fix this. My homepage is here and if you click on either "Screenshots" or "Stories" you'll see the mess I'm experiencing.

If someone has a few min to poke around it would be so greatly appreciated

www.tombraiders.net/katie

Thank you

Joined
Aug 1, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
My menu isn't there, no images, nothing. It's just text on a white background (on both sides of the site).

I used wayback machine to show you what the screenshots side should look like.

Capture.PNG

Joined
Nov 13, 2020
Messages
302
Reaction score
38
You have ASP links to your style sheet and to your menu, maybe the new site does not honor that. Ask the people who run the main server.
Your menu link is:
<!--#include virtual="http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/screenshots/menu.html"-->
HTML replacement is:
<include src="http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/screenshots/menu.html"></include>
and that page does exist.

Your CSS link is:
<!--#include virtual="http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/screenshots/stylesheets.html"--> <!-- Includes Google Analytics -->
and you guessed it, the replacement is:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/screenshots/stylesheets.html">
But that page is blank—your provider's fault. Ask them to find it.

Did you save a copy of your site anywhere?

Joined
Dec 23, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Well your first issue is mixed content: ixed Content: The page at 'https://www.tombraiders.net/katie/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure script 'http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS. I know that's JS but it could affect stylesheets too. Anyway if you have wayback when then I would just inspect the element and download the file. Pull in into something like sublime and replace all the absolute URLs. You could probably just use tool do extract this all for you.

1691084014887.png

Joined
Aug 1, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Thank you for checking! I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what's going on. I asked the new provider about the server side includes to turn them on and they don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about...

Yes I have a copy of my site! I hard-coded it since day 1, it's just different servers that its lived on. The site was updated for 17 years, now it is "closed" but remains online. So it's important that the content is still accessible.

The HTML replacement you mention, does that mean I have to get rid of .shtml pages or the include will still work?

Joined
Nov 13, 2020
Messages
302
Reaction score
38
Yes I have a copy of my site! I hard-coded it since day 1, it's just different servers that its lived on. The site was updated for 17 years, now it is "closed" but remains online. So it's important that the content is still accessible.
Good for you!!! Try uploading your saved site to the new server and see if that fixes the problem. Don't delete what they moved, but change the names of what is on the server. Add the word copy in front of them or gather them all up and put them in to a folder named old. After you get things running again you can delete them.

Good Luck

Joined
Aug 1, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Thanks for your replies! The new host turned SSI back on (why was it off who knows) so now everything is mostly working. Just need to re-upload my backup and should be good to go. Cheers!