SmartNavigation and ASP.NET 2.0

Guest

Hi,
I can see from the msdn-docs that SmartNavigation is now obsolete. Why
is that?
The SmartNavigation feature has been replaced by
MaintainScrollPosition, but the scoll position is not why we're using
the feature. It is mainly to avoid the flickering when posting back.

However we've got another project running, for which we would like to
turn SmartNavigation on, as we have an idea, that it will cause McAfee
ScriptScan to scan less script than without the feature turned on.
ScriptScan really is a pain in the ass for us.
But if SmartNavigation is to be excluded from the framework in the
future, this won't be a useful solution to our troubles with
ScriptScan...
Does anyone know when the SmartNavigation feature will be excluded?

Alternatively has anyone succesfully made an Asp.net product which
works with the ScriptScan-feature of McAfee Anti-virus? Our products
tend to work extremely slowly when ScriptScan is turned on...

Thanks in advance...
Mogens Nielsen
Elbek & Vejrup A/S

clintonG

My response is somewhat OT okay? Have you been having any problems with
Visual Studio 2005 itself?

I run McAfee VirusScan Online locally and suspect it may be causing VS2005
to run really slow. Especially when trying to enter the insertion point into
the source when attempting to use the comment tool from the toolbar. It
takes 10-20 seconds to comment a few lines of code. I've also had wierd
experiences like selecting a #region and all of the code in the page
disappears. Clicking into the IDE again and poof! the code is back.

My McAfee settings are called "ScriptStopper" not "ScriptScan" so are we
talking about the same thing? How risky do you thinki it would be to disable
this setting? Do we dare?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

"Mogens Nielsen - Elbek & Vejrup A/S"

Bruce Barker

Smart Navigation is too clever for its own good. A quick summary of how it
works.

when the page is first rendered in the browser, client script create a
hidden iframe, and updates the form to post to the hidden frame. when the
browser post, it the posts to the hidden frame. client code catches the
render in the hidden frame, then copy the dom from the hidden to the
primary.

some issues with this approach is changing stylesheets, adding client code,
ie support only. also as the postback is actually rendered twice, it a
pretty heavy approach.

MaintainScrollPosition solves the original problem, and AJAX is a better
solution for flickers, as the payloads and rendereding demands are lighter.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Mogens Nielsen - Elbek & Vejrup A/S"

Guest

Hi Clinton,
Actually I'm not having any troubles locally. Visual Studio 2005 is running
pretty smooth in my environment - I really love the new features.
My troubles only occour at one particular customer, which has McAfee
VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 installed. ScriptScan is part of that package. And
the system administrators are not at all willing to disable the feature.

Mogens Nielsen
Elbek & Vejrup A/S

Guest

Hi Bruce,
thank you very much for the explanation.
I'll take a look at AJAX.

Mogens Nielsen
Elbek & Vejrup A/S

clintonG