Sound in Java (facade to JMF?)

janzon

Hello!

I try to record sound in Java but have no luck. It is so easy to play
sounds with AudioClip. But to make a simple voice recording from the
users microphone it seems like I'm forced to use the heavy JMF
machinery.

I managed to play a wav file with JMF, but I don't have time to read
the documentation to learn how to make recordings. Any good ideas? Are
there any simpler Java classes that help me out? Like a facade to JMF
which hides most of the bells and whistles?

And why isn't there any good documentation on JMF? Or is it only me who
find the available documentation somewhat lacking? (Definition:
Available means you can find it with Google or on the EMule file
sharing network).

/ Janzon

Chris Smith

(e-mail address removed) says...
I managed to play a wav file with JMF, but I don't have time to read
the documentation to learn how to make recordings. Any good ideas? Are
there any simpler Java classes that help me out? Like a facade to JMF
which hides most of the bells and whistles?

There is JavaSound. I don't know if that's easier or harder than JMF,
as I've never used JMF... but it's not unusually hard for either
recording or playing sound.

janzon

Thomas said:

No! This example uses Java Sound, not JMF. Google is a source of
frustration and despair when it comes to finding good information on
JMF. There are a lot about JMF audio *players*, but nothing (I can
find) about making recordings.

I think Java Sound is way to complicated for my needs. That's why I
want to use JMF, which is supposed to be an easier to use front-end
(facade) to Java Sound.