specific type of Hex conversion

Lew Pitcher

Simon said:
(nothing, according to my newsreader)

Can you please remove the "begin Kifah Abbad:" line from
the beginning of your messages, as it is highly confusing
my newsreader,

I'd suggest that you get an proper newsreader, rather than ask that everyone
else conform to the restrictions that your broken newsreader imposes.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

Jew Hunter

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:08:46 GMT, in "Lew Pitcher" said
I'd suggest that you get an proper newsreader, rather than ask that
everyone else conform to the restrictions that your broken newsreader
imposes.

By that line of reasoning you condone HTML messages being sent over usenet.

Alan Balmer

Well, YMMV, but I tend to find that its often a nongood idea (if you
prefer that to bad) to use confusing constructs that can appear to be
other than they are, especially when writing in plain english.

I'm just thinking how many times I've heard people argue against html
because even if it breaks only one newsreader, its still one too many.
Even when the newsreader broken is probably the leading offender in
sending html messages ;-)

Flash Gordon

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:08:46 GMT, in
Pitcher" said

By that line of reasoning you condone HTML messages being sent over
usenet.

No, since there is nothing broken about a news reader that does not
support HTML. The relevant RFCs specify posting in plain text, not HTML.

Mark McIntyre

So unconfusing was this construct that I didn't even notice it when it was
first posted. I skipped right past it to the article.

exactly, it confused you so muich you didn't even read the
attribution. Ha!
<shrug> That's not my reasoning at all, wrt HTML. I think it's important
that articles should be readable in a vanilla text client without the
reader having to jump through mental parsing hoops. The "begin" thing,
then, clearly isn't an issue for me, whereas HTML is far more suited to Web
browsers than to Usenet.

I'm confused that you think that there's a difference.

Mark McIntyre

FWIW, it's generally intentional; the only known newsreader to screw up
consistently is Outlook Express, which also happens to have a few other
annoying habits.

In other words,m just pain childish.
By doing this, the poster is essentially saying "If you
want to play with the big boys, get a real client."

So I'm ok to start posting in HTML, because all "real" clients can
read it fine can't they. I see. Splendid.

Or is it, perhaps, a tiny smidgeon of childish anti-MS-ism?

Alexander Bartolich

begin followup to Mark McIntyre:
Or is it, perhaps, a tiny smidgeon of childish anti-MS-ism?

Amid a sea of top-posters, overlong attribution lines, outright
quote-fakers and other trolls it's amazing how long this simple
issue can drag on.

First of all, my attribution line is not a violation of the strict
no-binaries-rule. A valid uuencode block would look like this: [0]

begin 664 hello
&:&5L;&\*
`
end

Note the (octal) number between keyword 'begin' and the filename.
Granted, the concept of file permissions, also called 'mode', does
not make much sense on FAT, HPFS or NTFS. Still it is strange to
be so extremely liberal in accepting non-text input.

Anyway, this is a well-known bug [1] that will not get fixed.
Which leads to the secret cycle of success:

1. Software has bug, some person "exploits" bug
2. That person gets verbal abuse, but nobody else
3. Users don't switch, bug does not get fixed
4. Vendor gets profit, goto 1.

In the words of Jean-Luc Picard:
# We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats:
# They invade our space and we fall back.
# They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again.
# The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther! [...]

Richard Heathfield

Mark said:
exactly, it confused you so muich you didn't even read the
attribution. Ha!

What makes you think I didn't read the attribution? I just didn't notice
anything odd about it, that's all.
I'm confused that you think that there's a difference.

I'm confused that you don't see this very obvious difference.

Obviously, this conversation is going nowhere productive.

Lew Pitcher

Jew said:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:08:46 GMT, in "Lew Pitcher" said

By that line of reasoning you condone HTML messages being sent over usenet.

I don't see how you can say that. I've said nothing about HTML, and although
I abhor HTML postings to text newsgroups, I neither condone nor forbid HTML
postings. OTOH, I do /not/ condone people complaining that proper postings
are somehow improper and should be forbidden when the postings conform to
usenet definition and practice.

That Simon's newsreader improperly interprets three words when placed in a
textual article points out that his newsreader is broken.

If /your/ newsreader breaks when I type in the text

instead it is just 6 lines of text.

then you have a broken newsreader as well. Only your newsreader is broken in
a different manner than Simon's newsreader is.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

Mark McIntyre

I'm confused that you don't see this very obvious difference.

Well, I guess we just have to be confused together.
Obviously, this conversation is going nowhere productive.

Yup, we're both stupidly intransigent in our muddle headed thinking.

Mark McIntyre

begin followup to Mark McIntyre:

First of all, my attribution line is not a violation of the strict
no-binaries-rule.

never said it was.
Anyway, this is a well-known bug [1] that will not get fixed.

so there's two solutions
1) pretend the bug isn't there, post stuff which will confuse said
software, causing grief and annoyance to some readers.
2) work around bug, annoying no-one.
Which leads to the secret cycle of success:

I don't give two hoots about your opinion of MS's bug fixing
capabilities. I'm only interested in whethe people can read the posts.
3. Users don't switch, bug does not get fixed

Its not your business to make people switch newsreaders. Personally I
think OE is a heap of ordure, and I use Agent which handles this
properly.
4. Vendor gets profit, goto 1.

from a *free* newsreader? Erm?

Kifah Abbad

Barry Schwarz said:
How do you know that the value in packet is properly aligned to be the
address of a u_short (which I assume is an unsigned short int).

I think you were right about this note.

I managed to convert the packet into the way i want, and i inject it
using the libdnet library, using the simple application dnet.

dnet hex "\x45\x00\x00\x3c\xd9\x15\x00\x00\x20\x01\x99\x83\x0a\x0a\x0a\x0b\x0a\x0a\x0a\x0a\x08\x00\x7e\x46\x01\x00\xce\x15\x61\x62\x63\x64\x65\x66\x67\x68\x69\x6a\x6b\x6c\x6d\x6e\x6f\x70\x71\x72\x73\x74\x75\x76\x77\x61\x62\x63\x64\x65\x66\x67\x68\x69/bin/sh"
| dnet eth src 00:60:97:52:5c:d0 dst 00:50:da:51:7d:15 | dnet send
fxp1

Now it works fine,and the proxying of the icmp packets works
perfectly, just the value of the "time" in the ping session, keeps on
dropping in a mysterious way...until it reachs say 16ms...then starts
off by 600ms or so again...and so on:

..
..
..
..
..
..
..

So i porbably have some conversion problem, from the cast done in: p
= (u_short *)packet; or somwhere else :-(

CBFalconer

Joona said:
Which antisemitic flood? My news server automatically filters out
binaries posts. What was it all about?

You are lucky, and you don't want to know. It was a series of
about 15 1 meg binaries, which tied up my downlink for an
excessive time, and were then immediately deleted here.

Keith Thompson

Joona I Palaste said:
(Crossposting removed.)

Gary Labowitz <[email protected]> scribbled the following

Which antisemitic flood? My news server automatically filters out
binaries posts. What was it all about?

Some moron posted a series of viciously anti-semitic cartoons on this
thread. Be glad you didn't see them.