Sphinx-1.0b compilation for python3.1

Richard Mathar

I am trying to install Sphinx-1.0b under a Python3 environment.
Does anyone have experience with that task?

cd *1.0b2

python3 setup.py build
File "setup.py", line 50
print 'ERROR: Sphinx requires at least Python 2.4 to run.'

So
.../
2to3 -w Sphinx-1.0b2
RefactoringTool: Warnings/messages while refactoring:
RefactoringTool: ### In file Sphinx-1.0b2/sphinx/writers/text.py ###
RefactoringTool: Line 393: cannot convert map(None, ...) with multiple arguments because map() now truncates to the shortest sequence

cd *1.0b2
python3 setup.py build

This script requires setuptools version 0.6c9 to run (even to display
help). I will attempt to download it for you (from
http://pypi.python.org/packages/3.1/s/setuptools/), but
you may need to enable firewall access for this script first.
I will start the download in 15 seconds.

(Note: if this machine does not have network access, please obtain the file

http://pypi.python.org/packages/3.1/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py3.1.egg

and place it in this directory before rerunning this script.)
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/3.1/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py3.1.egg
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 3, in <module>
from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named setuptools

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/mathar/Sphinx-1.0b2/ez_setup.py", line 93, in use_setuptools
import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 6, in <module>
ez_setup.use_setuptools()
File "/home/mathar/Sphinx-1.0b2/ez_setup.py", line 95, in use_setuptools
return do_download()
File "/home/mathar/Sphinx-1.0b2/ez_setup.py", line 89, in do_download
egg = download_setuptools(version, download_base, to_dir, download_delay)
File "/home/mathar/Sphinx-1.0b2/ez_setup.py", line 150, in download_setuptools
src = urllib.request.urlopen(url)
File "/home/mathar/work/lib/python3.1/urllib/request.py", line 121, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
File "/home/mathar/work/lib/python3.1/urllib/request.py", line 355, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File "/home/mathar/work/lib/python3.1/urllib/request.py", line 467, in http_response
'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File "/home/mathar/work/lib/python3.1/urllib/request.py", line 393, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File "/home/mathar/work/lib/python3.1/urllib/request.py", line 327, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "/home/mathar/work/lib/python3.1/urllib/request.py", line 475, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.full_url, code, msg, hdrs, fp)
urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

How do I move on from here?