SQL 2005 Express Connection Problem

Marvinq

I'm a newbie to asp.net, but I have been a programmer for years.

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can give me a good answer
for, I have been trying to set up a site remotely and I've been using
the login control that comes with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express,
this comes with SQL 2005 Express. The remote site is not a company
computer, but basically a host that I'm paying for. When I deploy on
this remote site and try to log in I get this error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Using the Database Explorer I noticed that on my laptop the database
file is sitting on my C: Drive. I also noticed that on the remote
server I deploy to has all my files on their D: Drive. My question is
do I have to set my SQL 20005 Express file up locally exactly the way
the file will set remotely? In other words... If, on the remote
server, my files will be on D:\(url)\asp_data... in order for my login
control to be able to use it, it has to be set the same way?

Also, does that remote site need to be set up with SQL 2005 express as
well? or will the site be able to work off of that file?

And Finally, I also have SQL Server 2000, if I wanted to use this login
control (the one that comes with Visual Web Developer 2005), how can I
reference this server instead of SQL 2005 Express? It seems Visual Web
Developer 2005 wants to use it automatically.

Thanks in advance

bruce barker

sql2005 (and sqlexpress) support auto attaching a database in the
connect string. you need to be a database admin for this to work. also
sql2005 or sqlexpress needs to be installed on the webserver for this to
work.

none of this will probably work unless you have a dedicated server at
your hosted site. contact your host and check on database availability.
they might let you attach a database, but more likey they will reate one
and you will need to supply installing scripts.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)