Sql Membership & Role provider

David Thielen

Hi;

We are thinking of writing our on membership & role provider. This would use
whatever database each of our customers prefers - Sql Server, Oracle, DB2, or
MySql. We figure that since the repository for our web app is in the
database, that makes more sense than also requiring SqlExpress and having the
users/roles in a totally seperate DB.

Is this a lot of work or is it pretty easy? And is there sample code
anywhere that does this - even if the same code is just for Sql Server.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Dave,

Thank you for posting.

As for developing custom provider, it certainly require lots of work since
you'll need to implements all those provider interfaces yourself and the
code logic may vary much depend on the backend persistent storage(database)
you use. Fortunately, there are some good stuffs in the MSDN developer
center, you can find many good articles on creating custom provider in the
provider toolkit website:(include a simple provider package for access
database):

#Provider Toolkit
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/

In addition, ASP.NET team have released a complete source code package of
the ASP.NET built-in providers which
can help developers understanding the internal providers' code logic and
understand how to develop custom provdiers:

#Source Code for the Built-in ASP.NET 2.0 Providers Now Available for
Download
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/13/442772.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

David Thielen

Hi;

Are there sql scripts anywhere for creating the initial membership & role
databases?

David Thielen

Hi all;

Has anyone ported the Sql Membership/Role to work with Oracle/DB2/MySql? If
so, can I get a copy?

If not, once I get it working on all 4 would anyone want to do the work of
making it open source where additional vendors could then be added?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

As for the built-in SqlXXXProvider, you can find those setup T-SQL script
files under the .net framework 2.0's folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead