SqlRoleProvider & windows authentication

SpaceMarine

hello,

can anyone confirm whether or not a the SqlRoleProvider can be used
for a web app thats using Windows Authentication?

im building apps on an intranet and need support for working w/ custom
roles -- my app requires a UI for admin-users to manager other users.
it seems that either the SqlRoleProvider will do this, or the
AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider. the latter will for sure, dunno about
the former.

thanks!
sm

SpaceMarine

can anyone confirm whether or not a the SqlRoleProvider can be used
for a web app thats using Windows Authentication?

it can. i implemented this via the SqlRoleProvider, using a SQL Server
2005 instance. it works, but when using Windows Authentication you do
not get to use VS.NET's built-in user manager UI. for more:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/page...ng-Windows-Authentication-and-SQL-Server.aspx

using your own DB:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

...so now I have both the SqlRoleProvider and
AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider (AzMan) working... dont know which is
best, yet. Azman has a slight advantage in that its very compact and
one can use its MMC snap-in UI; plus it has more granular sub-role
support for tasks & operations. but the SqlRoleProvider is nice in
that I can easily add its db instance to our data-recovery plan.

decisions..

sm

Joe Kaplan

I think the key benefit with AzMan is the programming model. You are
encouraged to make all of your authorization decisions on the most granular
element, operations, and then roll those up into tasks and roles with then
map to security principals. By programming to operations, you can avoid
overlap in functionality and the admins of the system can change which roles
get which operations without affecting your code. If done carefully, this
can be a huge win from a maintenance perspective since you have at least one
layer of abstraction between the code doing the authorization and the way
the model is presented to the admins.

Joe K.
http://www.directoryprogramming.net