Standard CRUD

timmyt

my buddy and i have created a Standard CRUD (SCRUD) spec that we'd
like to use across projects and frameworks

before we get totally dependent on the pattern, I want to make sure
there's not some better solution out there, or some ideas that will
improve the design

below is the spec we came up with:

SCRUD (Standard CRUD)
=====================

Overview
-----------

Standard CRUD is a design pattern for:

* displaying a single instance
* displaying a filterable list of instances

* displaying a form to create a new single instance
* actually creating a new single instance

* displaying a form to update a single instance
* actually updating a single instance

* displaying a form to delete a single instance
* actually deleting a single instance

* displaying a form to perform a bulk insert
* actually performing a bulk insert

* displaying a form to perform a bulk update
* actually performing a bulk update

* displaying a form to perform a bulk delete
* actually performing a bulk delete

The intention is that all methods supported by the model will have
a consistent Class Method Interface - for example any model that
supports bulk insert will have a standard class method to support this
functionality.

Important Considerations

* SCRUD should work the same in an ajax context as well as in a
traditional page submit
* SCRUD state changing methods should be easily testable using
selenium,
twill or some other web testing tool in either an ajax or page
submit