Still need frames help.....

Jim

OK....so I got a little off-topic last time.......

I still want to do a simple web page like MSDN Library
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp) with a couple of changes.

On my navigation I want to allow the user to select a couple of choices and
generate the URL for the main content page on the fly.

It seems that frames are the way to go, but I'd like to see a simple example
of frames using ASP.Net (1.1 or 2.0 is fine).

I have looked into Master Pages and just don't think that they are a valid
choice for this type of website, because some of the content pages are
off-site. Therefore I cannot place the needed headers in them for Master
page content provider pages.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Jim,

AspNet and Frames is something that bites each other.

As chalenge we have made a website with an Iframe. However it needs a lot of
extras.

In ASPNET is for this now created the Masterpage/detail webpages.

I have seen that it works the same (easier to do) as a classic website with
frames.
(Especially the MasterPage is nice with its inbuild nice menu and more of
those things. You see it more and more on websites).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-masterpages.asp

Have a look to it.

I hope this helps,

Cor

Jim

Thanks for your response, but (AFAIK) Master pages will not work for this
site.

To use master pages, I have to be able to add code like "<%@ page
language="C#" master="~/site.master" - compilewith="register.aspx.cs"
classname="ASP.register_aspx" %>" to the content pages.

As I may have mentioned, some of the pages that I need to display are not
created or hosted by me. Thus, I cannot use them as content in a master
page scenario.

And, as you have found out, using an iFrame is a pain in the butt.

I think that regular HTML frames are definitely the way to go, but, until
Microsoft gets Expressions to market, we have nothing like Dreamweaver (or
even FrontPage) in Visual Studio to make this task easy as it really is.

I suppose I could make a frames page in Dreamweaver (cleaner HTML than
FrontPage) and try and load the ASPX navigation page in the left frame.
This is probably what I will end up doing.

Microsoft! Please hurry up with Microsoft Expressions! I have been wishing
for that suite forEVER.

Jim