String externalization in Eclipse

Anna

Hello,

I'm new to Eclipse and am currently evaluating its internalization
mechanism. The help article on "Externalize Strings Wizard" in Eclipse
3.1.2 says:

--- quote ---
Field
Use Eclipse's string externalization mechanism
Description
If unchecked the standard externalization mechanism is used,
otherwise the new Eclipse string externalization mechanism is used.
Note: This field is only present if the project build path contains the
org.eclipse.osgi.util.NLS class.
--- unquote ---

Where do I get the NLS class and/or how do I add it to the build path?
I couldn't find any downloads that include the class. Eclipse contains
the corresponding java class in its
plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.source_3.1.2 directory, but not the class file.
I tried including the source directory into my project so that it
would build the class file, but that didn't do any good.

I downloaded the latest 3.2 build thinking that maybe the help content
somehow got ahead of the app, but the situation with 3.2 is the same.

Any help on how to enable the new Eclipse externalization mechanism
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anna

Dale King

Anna said:
[...]

This type of string externalization is primarily meant for use by
plugins for Eclipse/RCP. In that case the necessary class will come from
the Eclipse platform itself and made part of the plug-ins class path
based on how the plug-in project is configured.

If you want to read more about how this form of localization works type
NLS in the search box of Eclipse help and the first few hits should be
helpful.

Since the class is in the org.eclipse.osgi.util package it should be in
the org.eclipse.osgi.util_3.x.y.jar file in the plugins directory.