Strong Blog CGI in Perl

Izidoor

Hello everybody. Do you know about a strong CGI written in Perl to
manage a blog ?

Looking around, I've seen a lot in PHP/MySQL or even without MySQL, but
nothing in Perl. Or, more precisely, the some I've seen in Perl doesn't
show the usual features like list of recent comments, calendar to browse
the archives, easy configuration, etc.

Charlton Wilbur

I> Looking around, I've seen a lot in PHP/MySQL or even without
I> MySQL, but nothing in Perl. Or, more precisely, the some I've
I> seen in Perl doesn't show the usual features like list of
I> recent comments, calendar to browse the archives, easy
I> configuration, etc.

Er, LiveJournal and MovableType don't have "the usual features"?

There's also Blosxom, which I'm not familiar with.

Charlton

Izidoor

Er, LiveJournal and MovableType don't have "the usual features"?

There's also Blosxom, which I'm not familiar with.

Charlton

Thank you Charlton.

No, the one I've seen are not those. For example, I've tried MyBlog from
http://www.fuzzymonkey.net/software/blog/. So, it seems I have to visit
your list.

Do you know about a commented directory on this subject (blog script in
Perl) ? What are the advantages and drawbacks of the 3 (or 4) you
indicate me ?

Izidoor

I> Looking around, I've seen a lot in PHP/MySQL or even without
I> MySQL, but nothing in Perl. Or, more precisely, the some I've
I> seen in Perl doesn't show the usual features like list of
I> recent comments, calendar to browse the archives, easy
I> configuration, etc.

Er, LiveJournal and MovableType don't have "the usual features"?

There's also Blosxom, which I'm not familiar with.

Charlton

I've seen the name you gave me :

- Er : don't know where to find it !

- LiveJournal at http://www.livejournal.com/ : it seems to be a blog
host, not a software to install on your own cgi-bin space.

- MovableType : http://www.movabletype.com/download/personal-use.html :
it's effectively a Perl script using a SQL database, but don't know
really yet why they ask for PHP (they say for "dynamic publishing", but
I've not read the detail at this time).

- Blosxom : http://www.blosxom.com/ : also a Perl script, lightweight
and open-source, and it doesn't need any database server. I don't know
if it accepts image upload ?!

So, I have to look deeper MovableType and Blosxom (and Er maybe), but
here is the list of feature I wish :

- Upload of text and image
- RSS feed
- Archives navigation
- Searching
- List of links toward articles containing the most recent comments

And, without use of any external database could be a plus for my case.

siliconchaos

Hello everybody. Do you know about a strong CGI written in Perl to
manage a blog ?

Looking around, I've seen a lot in PHP/MySQL or even without MySQL, but
nothing in Perl. Or, more precisely, the some I've seen in Perl doesn't
show the usual features like list of recent comments, calendar to browse
the archives, easy configuration, etc.

You might want to try AngerWhale [http://www.angerwhale.org/] for an
interesting approach at blogging software. Jonathan Rockway's site
[http://www.jrocks.us] has some good slides on the software.

And of course you can also try slashcode [http://www.slashcode.com/,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/slashcode/] which as you can probably
guess from the name is the software running slashdot [http://
www.slashdot.org]

Regards,

Robert

[...]

Thank you, Robert. I've added them to my list *TO_TEST*.

So, actually, my list is this one (from Charlton post too) :

- MovableType
- Blosxom
- AngerWhale
- slashcode

At your opinion, what's the easier (about install and configuration) to
build a blog with these features ? :

- Ability to fine tune the theme (at least, colors and fonts)
- Easy web admin board (to post, edit, delete, etc)
- Text posting (and ability to edit it in case of mistake)
- Image uploading (will appear as zoomable thumbnail in post)
- RSS feed (to allow syndication)
- Archives navigation (through category or date)
- Searching (word based with eventual OR/AND logic)
- List of links toward articles containing the most recent comments
- Ability to work in an iframe (don't know what it will do about iframe
height ; does it will resize automatically)
- Not any need of external database server (MySQL, etc) ; I hesitate on
this point.

And it would be a plus if :
- Choice of a category
- Comment posting w/o subscription, but saving coordinates in a cookie
- Good comment preview
- Unicode support (to accept chars like 'euro' or capitals w/ accent)
- Plugin oriented (just in case a feature doesn't exist)
- Possibility to bann a user, IP or domain
- Good errors management (I mean toward user wiyh explicit message)
- Sending of every post toward its author (and me through BCC)

Michele Dondi

- Searching (word based with eventual OR/AND logic)
^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^

<ot>
I suppose you're not a native English speaker and ITYM "possible"
there.
</ot>

Michele

Charlton Wilbur

I> So, I have to look deeper MovableType and Blosxom (and Er
I> maybe), but here is the list of feature I wish :

I> - Upload of text and image - Permalink - RSS feed - Archives
I> navigation - Searching - List of links toward articles
I> containing the most recent comments

I> And, without use of any external database could be a plus for
I> my case.

It sounds like you have some research to do. Alternately, you might
hire a good sysadmin, who can do the research for you, or a
consultant in this area, who will have done the research already.

You asked for "strong blog software in Perl," and I provided you with
three packages, two of which are extremely well-known in blogging.
(LiveJournal Server is, by the way, downloadable as open source.) If
you had additional requirements, you would have done well to ask about
them *first*, instead of telling the people who responded that their
answers didn't suit your needs.

Charlton

Izidoor

You asked for "strong blog software in Perl," and I provided you with
three packages, two of which are extremely well-known in blogging.
(LiveJournal Server is, by the way, downloadable as open source.) If
you had additional requirements, you would have done well to ask about
them *first*, instead of telling the people who responded that their
answers didn't suit your needs.

I didn't said your response doens't suit my need. Blosxom seems to be
right for my need for example.

Also, why not, LiveJournal, but, really, I don't see where their
LiveJournal Server is downloadable from their site :
http://www.livejournal.com/site/. Do you have URL ?

Actually, I'm looking deeper in this list :
- MovableType
- Blosxom
- AngerWhale
- slashcode

Eric Schwartz

Izidoor said:
Also, why not, LiveJournal, but, really, I don't see where their
LiveJournal Server is downloadable from their site :
http://www.livejournal.com/site/. Do you have URL ?

I don't mean to be critical here, but about 5 seconds with google
(searching for "livejournal server") gives these top two links:

http://www.livejournal.com/doc/server/index.html
http://www.livejournal.com/code/

It's a bit silly to complain you can't find the code when you don't
even make that basic effort.

-=Eric