Stylesheet format lost after adding onClick

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Doug said:
Which is why I would use javascript:void to keep this from happening.
In my particular case, I did not want the navigation to happen. I
linked to another page to show that the navigation could occur even
with "return false".

JavaScript errors are common. JavaScript can be a bugger to debug. In
a simple script, not a problem. In something complex, testing every
possible use case may not even be possible.

However, I pretty much know what javascript:void is going to do.

If you knew, you would not use it. The side-effects of that are many, e.g.
the link not working or even showing error messages without enabled script
support, multimedia stopping, and scripted URLs not working afterwards.
There seems to be a general objection to using javascript:void which,
IMHO, is somewhat pretentious. Not in your case, I don't think.

Pretentious is your "argument" considering that you don't even know what you
are talking about.

PointedEars

Doug Gunnoe

Pretentious is your "argument" considering that you don't even know what you
are talking about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. The fact you don't know what I
am talking about is not because I haven't tried to explain.

javascript:void exists for a reason. It's perfectly legitimate and
perfectly useful.

My Pet Programmer

Doug Gunnoe said:
LOL. I can be a little hard headed I suppose.
:) Happens to the best of us.

~A!

--
Anthony Levensalor
(e-mail address removed)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Doug Gunnoe

<eyeroll> But, amuse me and tell me how to do that.

You can't. But if a user has at least enough sophistication to go into
their browser preferences and disable javascript then they should be
aware and accepting of the consequences of doing so.

David Mark

You can't. But if a user has at least enough sophistication to go into
their browser preferences and disable javascript then they should be
aware and accepting of the consequences of doing so.

Of course, some users have it disabled for them by network admins.
Others use agents that do not support script. It makes no sense to
post pages on the public Internet that break when scripting is
disabled or unavailable.

Ivan Marsh

Of course, some users have it disabled for them by network admins.
Others use agents that do not support script. It makes no sense to post
pages on the public Internet that break when scripting is disabled or
unavailable.

Sure it does. Pages that include javascript require javascript to be
enabled, pages that use java require java, pages that use flash require
flash, you can't run Mac software under Windows and your car requires the
kind of fuel that it was designed for and a human being can't survive
breathing a methane atmosphere.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Doug said:
I know exactly what I'm talking about. The fact you don't know what I
am talking about is not because I haven't tried to explain.
ROTFL.

javascript:void exists for a reason. It's perfectly legitimate and
perfectly useful.

The reason `javascript:void' "exists" is the existence of incompetent
developers who have abused the `javascript:' scheme which was intended
to create an HTML document from a string value and for bookmarklets.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Ivan said:
Of course, some users have it disabled for them by network admins.
Others use agents that do not support script. It makes no sense to post
pages on the public Internet that break when scripting is disabled or
unavailable.

Sure it does. Pages that include javascript require javascript to be
enabled, [...]

Utter nonsense that does not come unexpected.

PointedEars

David Mark

Sure it does. Pages that include javascript require javascript to be
enabled, pages that use java require java, pages that use flash require
flash, you can't run Mac software under Windows and your car requires the

You don't understand.

[snip]

As I said, pages should not break when scripting is disabled. Same
for Flash, Java, etc.

Ivan Marsh

Ivan said:
<eyeroll> But, amuse me and tell me how to do that.
You can't. But if a user has at least enough sophistication to go into
their browser preferences and disable javascript then they should be
aware and accepting of the consequences of doing so.
Of course, some users have it disabled for them by network admins.
Others use agents that do not support script. It makes no sense to post
pages on the public Internet that break when scripting is disabled or
unavailable.

Sure it does. Pages that include javascript require javascript to be
enabled, [...]

Utter nonsense that does not come unexpected.

Idiotic, arrogant, condescending bullshit that does not come unexpected.

As always your input is meaningless.

David Mark

You don't understand.

I assure you I do.
As I said, pages should not break when scripting is disabled.  Same for
Flash, Java, etc.

If you want to take the time that's certainly up to you.

You should get into the habit of writing pages without considering
script, Flash or Java. That way users without such amenities (and
search engines) can see all of the content. Only then should you add
enhancements, taking care that each degrades gracefully.

Or you can lose visitors to more competent sites. That's certainly up
to you.

Ivan Marsh

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:55:39 -0800, David Mark wrote:
[...]

I always have been. I was a major proponent of cross-browser and backward
compatibility in everything I wrote... my experience in the industry has
changed that since employers have been much less concerned about it than I
would ever want them to be.
Or you can lose visitors to more competent sites. That's certainly up
to you.

You can't lose a visitor that couldn't use your site in the first place.

David Mark

55:39 -0800, David Mark wrote:
[...]

Then you should educate them as they probably hired you for your
expertise rather than agreeability. For instance, an employer that
wants an e-commerce site probably wants it to generate as many sales
as possible. To this end, they likely want all of their product pages
to be indexed by search engines and usable by people who cannot
utilize scripting, popup windows, Flash, etc. Far too often I see
this sort of markup on shopping sites:

false">Click here to view product details</a>

It wouldn't have taken any longer to design these sites properly, so
the only explanation is incompetence (or reticence) on the part of the
owners' resident "experts."
You can't lose a visitor that couldn't use your site in the first place.

Sure you can. You exclude them in the design phase.

Regardless, a page should not appear broken (e.g. the user shouldn't
be presented with links that don't work.) That is incompetent and
will not only exclude certain users, but will give them the impression
that the site is defective.

If a page is 100% reliant on scripting, then the only fallback is to
present a message indicating that fact (e.g. This page requires
scripting.)

Ivan Marsh

55:39 -0800, David Mark wrote:
[...]

I once worked for an operations manager for one of the largest PC software
manufacturers in the world... about once every three weekends I'd have to
drive to work to put his printer on-line because he refused to let me talk
him through pushing the "on-line" button over the phone. That was a high
six figure salary well spent.

During the y2k bullshit I explained to my manager that the MRP system we
were using was designed from the beginning to handle dates up to 2073. He
got a very concerned "manager" look on his face and asked me, very
seriously, "Well... what are we going to do after that?" to which I
replied "I don't know about you but I plan to be dead."

I'm glad that you've experienced more intelligence in the world... it's
good to know it's out there.

Doug Gunnoe

I started quite the little ruckus here, lol.

Really, this comes down to a difference in philosophy, IMO. I was
aware of the objections to calling javascript from a link. That has
been with us for a while. And in the early days, when a larger
percentage of individuals had javascript disabled or when more
individuals used browsers that did not support javascript, I agreed
with this point of view.

I forget at which point I stopped worrying about universal usability.
It could have been all those hours I fretted and worried about the way
Netscape 4 (worst browser ever) displayed versus the way IE 4
displayed. Or, up until just very recently, the time spent making sure
I was using the correct DOM and that the DOM supported whatever
behavior I was trying to implement.

Although my point of view is much in agreement with Mr. Marsh's, I
respect and understand the objections of those who disagree with me,
regardless of how egregiously wrong they happen to be.

Cheers,

Doug