Tab vs. Enter Key

Guest

Hi,

I have an asp.net datagrid (framework 1.1) with about 5 or so text box
controls per row. As expected, when the user hits the tab key the cursor
will jump from textbox to textbox, left to right. But we have a user who
would be more comfortable using the ENTER key to jump from field to field.
Is this possible?

Also, he would like the cursor in the datagrid to not jump from left to
right but from top to bottom. Is this also possible?

Thanks,
John

Brian Tkatch

John said:
Hi,

I have an asp.net datagrid (framework 1.1) with about 5 or so text box
controls per row. As expected, when the user hits the tab key the cursor
will jump from textbox to textbox, left to right. But we have a user who
would be more comfortable using the ENTER key to jump from field to field.
Is this possible?

Yes. Add a button to the form, and make it the form's "default" button
(so [enter] activates it), and have the key change fields for him.

Alternatively, capture keypress, and when it is [enter] switch it to
[tab].
Also, he would like the cursor in the datagrid to not jump from left to
right but from top to bottom. Is this also possible?

You mean have [tab] change rows? You can capture the field enter event
or something and manipulate from there. Another solution may be to
create a duplicate grid with just the first column, and a second grid
with all the rest. Link the two to the datatable to keep them in sync.
This may be more confusing, however.

B.