templating system

horndude77

At work we use a tool (Rational SoDA for Word) to automatically create
our documentation. Most people I've spoken to are quite unhappy with it
because it's slow and buggy (it crashes, runs out of memory fairly
often and it somewhat inconsistant). I've had to use it the past few
weeks to automatically generate our documentation out of Rational Rose.
One thing that is nice about Rose however is that all of the
information we need to generate our documents can be got through
windows OLE. I've tested it with some toy scripts with ruby and it
works wonderfuly. I know there's eruby which is used for the web. Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby? (I saw this
link on OSnews today:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-pythcheetah/?ca=dgr-lnxw07PythonCheetah).
Or is it possible to get eruby to generate general purpose documents
(I've looked into this briefly but haven't got this figured out yet,
pointers here would be useful too). I think if I can get it into a
LaTeX form or HTML I can convert it to the formats we need for
deliverables. Thanks for the help!

Horndude77

Ara.T.Howard

[...]

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/kwartz/
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/misen/

hth.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

James Edward Gray II

I know there's eruby which is used for the web. Are
there any general purpose templating systems made for ruby?

ERuby is actually a general purpose tool. And as Devin has already
pointed out with a link, its little brother ERb is a standard library.

James Edward Gray II

horndude77

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm still pretty new to ruby and hadn't
heard of ERB but, I think it will do nicely. The docs are quite useful.
Nice job! I'll be sure to consult them often. Thanks again!

-----Horndude77