Test if Object exists

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tshad, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    I have an object that may or may not exist on a page. Therefore, I test for
    it. But it doesn't seem to work if I do the following:

    if not HomeLink is nothing then
    HomeLink.NavigateUrl="http://www.staffingworkshop.com/"

    I get the error message:
    Compilation Error
    to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
    and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: BC30451: Name 'HomeLink' is not declared.

    Source Error:

    Line 40: if not isPostBack then
    Line 41: if Session("SiteSourceCompany") is nothing then
    Line 42: if not HomeLink is nothing then
    HomeLink.NavigateUrl="http://www.stw.com/" <-- error
    Line 43: end if
    Line 44: Dim OldStart = Session("start") 'Keep this as the clear will
    dump it

    How do I test to see if an object exists or not?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Aug 7, 2007

  2. tshad

    John Mott Guest

    What you probably want to do is to use FindControl to see if it exists or
    not, that will prevent the compile error. In this context 'this' is the
    current page.

    HyperLink hl = this.FindControl("HomeLink");
    if (hl != null) {
    hl.NavigateUrl="http://www.staffingworkshop.com/"
    }

    John
    Nice Clean Examples
    www.nicecleanexample.com

    John Mott, Aug 7, 2007

  3. tshad

    lee whitbeck Guest

    That should work, but you must declare HomeLink, which is why the
    compiler is complaining. Once you have it declared in your code, you
    can check if it exists or not.

    lee whitbeck, Aug 7, 2007