The Strangeness of Arrays

Roger Bannister

Hi

The behaviour below has me completely confuzzled. Why on earth does my
array suddenly have all rows equal to the last row?

Can anyone tell me if this is expected; or if I have to start wearing my
Stupid Hat again.

Thanks

irb(main):014:0> @t = Array.new(5, Array.new(4))
=> [[nil, nil, nil, nil], [nil, nil, nil, nil], [nil, nil, nil, nil],
[nil, nil, nil, nil], [nil, nil, nil, nil]]
irb(main):025:0> row = 0
=> 0
irb(main):026:0> while (row <= 4)
irb(main):027:1> column = 0
irb(main):028:1> while (column <= 3)
irb(main):029:2> printf(".%d,%d: %d. ", column, row, @t[row][column] =
row+column)
irb(main):030:2> column += 1
irb(main):031:2> end
irb(main):032:1> printf("\n")
irb(main):033:1> row += 1
irb(main):034:1> end
0,0: 0. .1,0: 1. .2,0: 2. .3,0: 3.
0,1: 1. .1,1: 2. .2,1: 3. .3,1: 4.
0,2: 2. .1,2: 3. .2,2: 4. .3,2: 5.
0,3: 3. .1,3: 4. .2,3: 5. .3,3: 6.
0,4: 4. .1,4: 5. .2,4: 6. .3,4: 7.
=> nil
irb(main):035:0> @t
=> [[4, 5, 6, 7], [4, 5, 6, 7], [4, 5, 6, 7], [4, 5, 6, 7], [4, 5, 6, 7]]

Hal Fulton

Roger said:
Hi

The behaviour below has me completely confuzzled. Why on earth does my
array suddenly have all rows equal to the last row?

Can anyone tell me if this is expected; or if I have to start wearing my
Stupid Hat again.

It's the strangeness of objects, not arrays. See below...
Thanks

irb(main):014:0> @t = Array.new(5, Array.new(4))

This fills @t with five references to the same four-item array.

If you change one, you change them all.

I think in recent Ruby you can do this:

@t = Array.new(5) { Array.new(4) }

and you'll get different sub-arrays. Try it...

Hal

Roger Bannister

Hal said:
It's the strangeness of objects, not arrays. See below...

This fills @t with five references to the same four-item array.

If you change one, you change them all.

I think in recent Ruby you can do this:

@t = Array.new(5) { Array.new(4) }

and you'll get different sub-arrays. Try it...

Hal
Right, it's the hat for me! I'd completely forgotten the basic example
of a = 1; b = a.

Thanks guys.