Tiers, Layers, Models and Design Patterns (Model-2 of Struts)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jan Brunia, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Jan Brunia

    Jan Brunia Guest

    Hi,

    I'm busy investigating the Implementation View of the 4+1 architectural
    views of RUP.

    I'm getting a bit confused about the difference between Tiers and Layers and
    how to
    get my business logic model + struts into it. I would like to invite you to
    join a discssion
    of what is actually meant by layers and tiers, how they relate to eachother
    and how
    for example struts, consisting of a servlet controller, an action, a form,
    and a JSP view,
    is "resting" on the layers and partitioned over the tiers. Besides that
    assuming that the
    system in integrating via XML to a back-end system I wonder how this in
    reflected in
    tiers and layers.

    The tiers I'm thinking of are:

    - Presentation (= on the browser)
    - Web (= JSP and servlets on the server)
    - Business Logic (=EJBs on the server)
    - Enterprise Information System (=system to integrate with)
    - Database (=back-end database)

    Hope this is not enough to discuss in one thread and that the problem I have
    is clear.

    Kind regards,

    Jan

    Jan Brunia, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Jan Brunia

    Pronab Pal Guest

    I see Tier referring to physical distribution of processes- and Layer is
    more logical decomposition of functionality -in your struts application
    both
    can be present depending on the configuration.- if you are integrating via
    XML I would think the XML layer as an additional interface layer.
    Pronob

    Pronab Pal, Feb 10, 2004