TIFF Image conversion

alastair

Hi,

I need to convert a 24-bit RGB TIFF image to an 8-bit RGB TIFF image.
I've tried using PIL and the convert() method - this allowed me to
convert to an 8-bit grayscale image, close but not exactly what I need
:(

From what I've read, it doesn't look like I can do what I need in PIL.
Does anyone know of another method ?

Thanks,

Alastair.

Larry Bates

I think you could use netpbm to do the conversion.

http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/

I use it for a lot of my TIFF-work that PIL just
doesn't yet support. Wrap a function/class around
an os.system() call to execute it if you want to
call from Python.

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi,

I need to convert a 24-bit RGB TIFF image to an 8-bit RGB TIFF image.

Pardon? The only color 8-bit formats I'm familiar with are those
using indexed color (primarily GIF, though PNG may also have that mode).
You are limited to only 256 discrete colors.

Jeff Shannon

alastair said:
Hi,

I need to convert a 24-bit RGB TIFF image to an 8-bit RGB TIFF image.
I've tried using PIL and the convert() method - this allowed me to
convert to an 8-bit grayscale image, close but not exactly what I need
:(

With the caveat expressed above (that there may well not *be* such a
thing as an 8-bit RGB TIFF), you may want to look into using ImageMagick
(and the Python API for it) for your image manipulation. See
www.imagemagick.org for more information.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International