Tk Compilation on Solaris 10 Failing

krishu

Hi All,

I'm trying to install Tk in a Solaris 10 box ( SunOS netra1 5.10
Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 ). I downloaded
Tk-804.027 Version and installed it usually.

perl Makefile.PL

but it is complaining the following error.

checking whether the C compiler (cc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO -KPIC -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
D_FILE_OFFS
ET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

I'm using gcc 3.4.3 and assures it is first in the PATH variable.
Perl Version 5.8.4.

tk-8.5a4-sol10-sparc-local is installed in this machine.

I did googling, searching for half a day and ended up here.

Any help would be appreciable.
Thanks.

Ben Morrow

Quoth krishu said:
I'm trying to install Tk in a Solaris 10 box ( SunOS netra1 5.10
Generic_125100-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 ). I downloaded
Tk-804.027 Version and installed it usually.

perl Makefile.PL

but it is complaining the following error.

checking whether the C compiler (cc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO -KPIC -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
D_FILE_OFFS
ET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -D_TS_ERRNO ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

I'm using gcc 3.4.3 and assures it is first in the PATH variable.

You're using a perl built with Sun's cc. You have to build modules with
the same compiler as perl, so you'll either have to obtain and install
Sun's cc, or rebuild perl with gcc.

Note that you have to be a little careful replacing the system perl on
Solaris: IIRC you can replace /usr/bin/perl, as all the system stuff
that requires a specific version refers to it as /opt/perl5/something,
but you should check this before you do anything.

Ben

krishu

Quoth krishu <[email protected]>:

You're using a perl built with Sun's cc. You have to build modules with
the same compiler as perl, so you'll either have to obtain and install
Sun's cc, or rebuild perl with gcc.

Note that you have to be a little careful replacing the system perl on
Solaris: IIRC you can replace /usr/bin/perl, as all the system stuff
that requires a specific version refers to it as /opt/perl5/something,
but you should check this before you do anything.

Ben

Ben,

Awesome.. Information..
It just straight forward fixed my issue.

I installed perl compiled with gcc. (from sunfreeware.com ) and
compiled Tk Module with it. It went through fine and I could
run Tk Apps now. Thanks a lot Ben.