tkinter and cygwin

gh14tq5

Hi,

I've recently started learning python programming and have been
experimenting with a few basic GUI programs. My work system is
cygwin/Windows XP. I use X-windows in cygwin but when I run my
python/tkinter program from an x-win terminal , a normal XP window is
opened up. Any text output from the program of course shows up in the
terminal I started the program from. Is there a way to make python open
up a window in the X display instead of an XP window? It's really
annoying because if I click on another window or terminal in the
X-window screen, the X-window display will then cover up the python GUI.

Thanks,
John

Jason Tishler

John,

I've recently started learning python programming and have been
experimenting with a few basic GUI programs. My work system is
cygwin/Windows XP. I use X-windows in cygwin but when I run my
python/tkinter program from an x-win terminal , a normal XP window is
opened up.

For better or worse, Cygwin's tcltk package is essentially a Win32
build. So, the behavior you are observing is expected although not
necessarily desired.

Jason