Tkinter: How can I update an image display?

Terry Carroll

I've got a small batch image-processing program (it adds the time a
digital photo was taken to the lower right of the image), and as a
feature, I wanted to show a thumbnail of each image it was being
processed. I can't get the image to update, though.

I trimmed it down to a basic app indicating the problem and the code
is at the end of this message. It should display the three listed
sample images, one after another.

The thing is, if I uncomment the raw_input call, it works. But I
don't want to have to hit ENTER after each image.

At first I wondered whether maybe the image data was bad, but that
doesn't explain why it works fine with the raw_input call in place.

I've hardly played with Tkinter, so I'm probably missing something
obvious. I tried adding pack() calls for F2 and ImageLabel, and that
made no difference.

Ideas?

Here's the code:

==========================
import Tkinter as Tk
import os, sys, time
import Image, ImageTk

class MyApp:

def __init__(self, root):
"""initializer for Tkinter-based application"""
self.root=root
F1 = Tk.Frame(self.root)
F1.pack()
SelButton = Tk.Button(F1, text="Go", command=self.go)
SelButton.pack(side="left")
QuitButton = Tk.Button(F1, text="Quit", command=F1.quit)
QuitButton.pack(side="left")
F2 = Tk.Frame(self.root)
F2.pack()
self.ImageLabel = Tk.Label(F2)
self.ImageLabel.pack()
self.FilenameLabel = Tk.Label(F2)
self.FilenameLabel.pack()

def go(self):
filenames = ["DSCN0184.JPG", "DSCN0185.JPG", "DSCN0186.JPG"]
for name in filenames:
im=Image.open(name)
im.thumbnail((100,75))
Tkimage = ImageTk.PhotoImage(im)
self.ImageLabel.config(image=Tkimage)
self.FilenameLabel.config(text=name)
time.sleep(2)
raw_input("Press ENTER for next...")

root = Tk.Tk()
myapp = MyApp(root)
root.mainloop()
==========================

Terry Carroll

The thing is, if I uncomment the raw_input call, it works. But I
don't want to have to hit ENTER after each image.

And the, just to be confusing, I posted the uncommented version.

To make my example more consistent with my post, I should have said
that, when the raw_input call is commented out, it no longer works.

Paul Rubin

Terry Carroll said:
I trimmed it down to a basic app indicating the problem and the code
is at the end of this message. It should display the three listed
sample images, one after another.

The thing is, if I uncomment the raw_input call, it works. But I
don't want to have to hit ENTER after each image.

Try using root.update()?