Trace.axd File Not Found

Joe Rattz

I can't seem to get to trace.axd. I have turned tracing on in web.config.
Here is how I currently have i configured:

<trace
enabled="true"
requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="false"
traceMode="SortByTime"
localOnly="false"
/>

When I go to the traxe.axd file in my application directory, I get a 404
File Not Found error message.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

Set pageOutput to "true"

<trace
enabled="true"
requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="true"
traceMode="SortByTime"
localOnly="false"
/>

If pageOutput is set to "false" , no output is produced!

Joe Rattz

Changed that and it didn't make any difference. I feel like you should be
able to get to trace.axd even if its off....as long as enabled is true.

Juan T. Llibre

You *should* be able to get to it!

Could you try just :

<trace enabled="true"/>

?

Juan T. Llibre

That is really strange.

Check to see that you have a trace section in machine.config :

<section name="trace"

The strangest thing is that you're getting a "File not Found" error,
while trace.axd doesn't actually exist as a real page.

If you click on this link : http://localhost/trace.axd
and you have trace enabled in web.config, but you don't get a trace page,
maybe it's time to consider uninstalling/reinstalling the .Net Framework.

Is everything else in ASP.NET working OK ?
Or, do you have other unexplained errors ?

Have you tried running aspnet_regiis -i ?

Joe Rattz

Yes, in machine.config I have:

<section name="trace"
type="System.Web.Configuration.TraceConfigurationHandler, System.Web,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
If you click on this link : http://localhost/trace.axd
and you have trace enabled in web.config, but you don't get a trace page,

Hmmm, I thought the url would be for the application...more like
http://localhost/myapp/trace.axd

When I go to
http://localhost/trace.axd

I get:

Trace Error
application.

Details: To enable trace.axd, please create a <trace> tag within the
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <trace> tag should then have its "enabled" attribute set
to "true".

<configuration>
<system.web>
<trace enabled="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

----
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

Oddly, if I copy my app's web.config into wwwroot, I at least get:

Application Trace [ clear current trace ]

Physical Directory: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\
Requests to this Application Remaining: 10
No. Time of Request File Status Code Verb

But, if I do things in my app, they don't show up in the trace log at
http://localhost/trace.axd but I wouldn't expect them to.

Juan T. Llibre

OK, what you describe means that trace *is* working.

If you want trace to work at http://localhost/myapp/trace.axd
you need to have a web.config in the myapp application's directory,
which includes these, or similar, lines in web.config :

<configuration>
<system.web>
<trace enabled="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

re:
But, if I do things in my app, they don't show up in the trace log at
http://localhost/trace.axd but I wouldn't expect them to.

You're right in that.

The web.config at your webroot ( wwwroot)
will *not* enable tracing for /myapp nor will running
http://localhost/trace.axd show the results of trace calls in /myapp.

http://localhost/myapp/trace.axd *should* work for you,
if the /myapp directory is configured as a virtual directory,
and if its web.config enables tracing.

The fact that trace *does* work at http://localhost/trace.axd is proof of that.

Trace works on a "per application" or "per virtual directory" basis.

It can work in any number of applications or virtual directories,
keeping all the trace listings separate.

Juan T. Llibre said:
That is really strange.

Check to see that you have a trace section in machine.config :

<section name="trace"

The strangest thing is that you're getting a "File not Found" error,
while trace.axd doesn't actually exist as a real page.

If you click on this link : http://localhost/trace.axd
and you have trace enabled in web.config, but you don't get a trace page,
maybe it's time to consider uninstalling/reinstalling the .Net Framework.

Is everything else in ASP.NET working OK ?
Or, do you have other unexplained errors ?

Have you tried running aspnet_regiis -i ?

Joe Rattz

If you want trace to work at http://localhost/myapp/trace.axd
you need to have a web.config in the myapp application's directory,
which includes these, or similar, lines in web.config :

I do.

Ok, I just figured out what it was. Pulling up my webapp's properties in
IIS admin, Directory tab, Configuration Button, I was missing the App
Mapping for axd files. I don't know why. I did have an IIS reinstall a few
months ago that caused some problems. Perhaps this got messed up back then.
For anyone that has this same problem, map axd's to
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll or whereever
your .NET Framework is. The app mapping for the Default Web Site also
limited the verbs to GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG for the axd mapping.

Thanks for the assistance Juan.

Joe Rattz said:
Yes, in machine.config I have:

<section name="trace"
type="System.Web.Configuration.TraceConfigurationHandler, System.Web,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
page,

Juan T. Llibre said:
That is really strange.

Check to see that you have a trace section in machine.config :

<section name="trace"

The strangest thing is that you're getting a "File not Found" error,
while trace.axd doesn't actually exist as a real page.

If you click on this link : http://localhost/trace.axd
and you have trace enabled in web.config, but you don't get a trace page,
maybe it's time to consider uninstalling/reinstalling the .Net Framework.

Is everything else in ASP.NET working OK ?
Or, do you have other unexplained errors ?

Have you tried running aspnet_regiis -i ?

Tried that and it still didn't work.

[...]

Whew!

Glad to know you're back to normal !

Joe Rattz said:
[...]

Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Same problem but no solution

I too get the following error

########## Error Page ############
Server Error in '/' Application.

Trace Error

Details: To enable trace.axd, please create a <trace> tag within the configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <trace> tag should then have its "enabled" attribute set to "true".

<configuration>
<system.web>
<trace enabled="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

1) I have enabled trace in my web.config, tried all options including pageOutput="true"

2) The machine.cofig file has the appropriate section

3) And in IIS, the mapping to .axd file also exists.

Dont know what else can be the problem :roll: