Trouble using CSS boxes with "strict" HTML

Geoff Hague

In an effort to make my band's website compatible with non-IE websites, I
was informed by this group that I should change my site's doctype from
"transitional" to "strict". I was then able to clear up some of the major
layout compatability problems I was having, but now I'm having a few
'smaller' issues, mostly with regards to trying to set up fixed-width boxes
using CSS.

My original "transitional" doctype website, and it's associated stylesheet
is at:
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/index.php
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/ModernRepublic.css

My working draft of the "strict" website (and stylesheet) is at:
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/index.php
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/ModernRepublic.css

There are a few things I need to work out, but I guess I'll point to the
most obvious one: my navigation bar.
I'd like to make each link in the bar set to a fixed width of 75px, which
works great in my original site, but it's not cooperating in the new
version.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks!
~Geoff

Robert Frost-Bridges

Geoff said:
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/index.php
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/ModernRepublic.css

There are a few things I need to work out, but I guess I'll point to
the
most obvious one: my navigation bar.
I'd like to make each link in the bar set to a fixed width of 75px,
which works great in my original site, but it's not cooperating in the
new version.

Can anyone help out?

I wouldn't worry about fixing the width of anything if I were you. The
size of the links will then be free to adjust according to your
visitors' own preferences. You might want to insert a small gap between
each one though. It could read 'Home Howsabout Contact' :)