Trouble using CSS boxes with "strict" HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Geoff Hague, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Geoff Hague

    Geoff Hague Guest

    In an effort to make my band's website compatible with non-IE websites, I
    was informed by this group that I should change my site's doctype from
    "transitional" to "strict". I was then able to clear up some of the major
    layout compatability problems I was having, but now I'm having a few
    'smaller' issues, mostly with regards to trying to set up fixed-width boxes
    using CSS.

    My original "transitional" doctype website, and it's associated stylesheet
    is at:
    http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/index.php
    http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/ModernRepublic.css

    My working draft of the "strict" website (and stylesheet) is at:
    http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/index.php
    http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/strict/ModernRepublic.css

    There are a few things I need to work out, but I guess I'll point to the
    most obvious one: my navigation bar.
    I'd like to make each link in the bar set to a fixed width of 75px, which
    works great in my original site, but it's not cooperating in the new
    version.

    Can anyone help out?

    Thanks!
    ~Geoff

    Geoff Hague, Aug 5, 2004

  2. I wouldn't worry about fixing the width of anything if I were you. The
    size of the links will then be free to adjust according to your
    visitors' own preferences. You might want to insert a small gap between
    each one though. It could read 'Home Howsabout Contact' :)

    Robert Frost-Bridges, Aug 6, 2004