Troubleshooting Desperately Needed

Jeff

I'm having a problem with some floating thumblails. Mozilla (and thus,
presumably, NS 6+) renders them perfectly, but IE 6 "kicks out" one or
two on a line by themselves. I tried increasing the space between the
DIVs (it seemed at first that IE saw them overlapping), to no avail.

Here's the page:

http://home.mpinet.com/jhunt.gdi/wedding/wedding_photos1.htm

and here's the path to the CSS:

http://home.mpinet.com/jhunt.gdi/stylesheets/JeffTinaNew3.css

The relevant portion is

.thumbnail
{
float: left;
width: 95px;
height: 95px;
margin: 0 15px 15px 0;
padding: 5px;
}
img.thumb {
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
vertical-align: bottom;
display: block;
border: 1px solid #000;
}

Also, I notice that Mozilla centers the thumbnails vertically (as
intended), whereas IE does not. If anyone can help me fix these,
particularly the first problem, I would be so grateful!

rf

Jeff wrote
I'm having a problem with some floating thumblails. Mozilla (and thus,
presumably, NS 6+) renders them perfectly, but IE 6 "kicks out" one or
two on a line by themselves. I tried increasing the space between the
DIVs (it seemed at first that IE saw them overlapping), to no avail.

I experimented for ages with exactly this problem.

Eventually I decided that

a) This is just the way IE works with floats. We all know that IE's box
model is badly flawed, especially when it comes to floats. This is just
another mainifestation.

b) I sort of grew to like it that way, the sort of random "picture album
stuck together by a kid" look. Notice that the people in the thumbnails
(below) are all skiers. Lots of schnapps is involved :)

The only fix I know of is to make all the divs the same height. Since your
thumbnails are nearly all the same height to start with it shouldn't be a
problem. Just make them all as high as your tallest image. IE oddly enough
IIRC will honour this height.

Mine was a big problem. The thumbnails have an unknown (read entered by the
user) amount of caption under them.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/snow/chapter3.html

(Demo only, *all* the links are broken)