try/except/else/finally problem

Ed Jensen

I'm using:

Python 2.3.2 (#1, Oct 17 2003, 19:06:15) [C] on sunos5

And I'm trying to execute:

#! /usr/bin/env python

try:
f = file('test.txt', 'r')
except IOError:
print 'except'
else:
print 'else'
finally:
print 'finally'

And the results are:

File "./test.py", line 9
finally:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter Otten

Ed said:
I'm using:

Python 2.3.2 (#1, Oct 17 2003, 19:06:15) [C] on sunos5

And I'm trying to execute:

#! /usr/bin/env python

try:
f = file('test.txt', 'r')
except IOError:
print 'except'
else:
print 'else'
finally:
print 'finally'

And the results are:

File "./test.py", line 9
finally:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

What am I doing wrong?

You need Python 2.5 for that to work. In older Python versions you have to
nest try...except...else and try...finally.

Peter

Sebastian Wiesner

[ Ed Jensen said:
try:
f = file('test.txt', 'r')
except IOError:
print 'except'
else:
print 'else'
finally:
print 'finally'

And the results are:

File "./test.py", line 9
finally:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

A finally block isn't allowed to appear together with an except block for
releases previous to 2.5. You need to split your exception handling into
two separate blocks.

(Rosa Luxemburg)

Ed Jensen

You need Python 2.5 for that to work. In older Python versions you have to
nest try...except...else and try...finally.

Thanks Peter.

Given the code above, can you show me what that would look like? The
nested version, that is.

Peter Otten

Ed said:
Thanks Peter.

Given the code above, can you show me what that would look like? The
nested version, that is.

try:
try:
f = file("test.txt", "r")