Trying to connect to an https://domain.com URL via Java and failingto do so

Rob

Can anyone help me understand why this is not working:

Here is the important part. When compiled and run:
String Urlx="https://domain.com" // valid URL that comes up fine in a
web browser
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());
URL url = new URL(Urlx);
in = url.openStream(); // Currently An IoException is thrown
:

It appears an IoException is thrown: java.io.IOException: Server
returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: https://domain.com

Does anyone know why this might be happening and what if anything is
missing? e.g missing .jar file? A different way to accomplish this in
Java JDK?

Daniel Pitts

Can anyone help me understand why this is not working:

Here is the important part. When compiled and run:
String Urlx="https://domain.com" // valid URL that comes up fine in a
web browser
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());
URL url = new URL(Urlx);
in = url.openStream(); // Currently An IoException is thrown
:

It appears an IoException is thrown: java.io.IOException: Server
returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: https://domain.com

Does anyone know why this might be happening and what if anything is
missing? e.g missing .jar file? A different way to accomplish this in
Java JDK?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http+403

It means the server doesn't like something about your request. Many
websites don't allow Java's default User-Agent, for many reasons.
Likely you are (perhaps unintentionally) violating the ToS of the site
you're attempting to connect to.

Arne Vajhøj

Can anyone help me understand why this is not working:

Here is the important part. When compiled and run:
String Urlx="https://domain.com" // valid URL that comes up fine in a
web browser
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");
Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());
URL url = new URL(Urlx);
in = url.openStream(); // Currently An IoException is thrown
:

It appears an IoException is thrown: java.io.IOException: Server
returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: https://domain.com

Does anyone know why this might be happening and what if anything is
missing? e.g missing .jar file? A different way to accomplish this in
Java JDK?

I don't think you need to specify any properties to use HTTPS in
any recent Java.

Whether that makes a difference or not I don't know.

Arne

Roedy Green

See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP

You get use the GET class to fetch either http: or https: