Trying to Use Class

Wayne Wengert

I am trying to work through an ASP.NET book and in one example you build a
Class and then call a method from that class in an ASPX page. I put the
class file ("quote.dll") in the bin directory and then added the aspx page
that uses it to the project. When I re-open the project and right click on
the aspx file and select the "Add to Project" option I get an error stating:
"There is no class file associated with the WebForm 'ShowQuote.aspx'. Create
a new class file now?" I can see the class file in the bin directory and
I've verified that the namespaces match?

How can I debug/correct this condition? Is there some place I "associate" a
class file to an aspx page?

TIA

Wayne.

Kevin Spencer

Hi Wayne,

The class that Visual Studio.Net is referring to is the CodeBehind class.
VS.Net is designed to compile ASP.net apps, which entials using CodeBehind
files that are separate from the .aspx Page Templates. It sounds like you're
working on an ASP.Net Page that includes the CodeBehind code IN the page
file. The message is NOT referring to your other custom class, which is not
a Page class.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Wayne Wengert

Thanks for the response Kevin.

VSNET creates two files in the Bin directory; myProj.dll and myProj.pdb when
I import the aspx file. If I delete those files, they get recreated when I
build the project?

Wayne

Kevin Spencer

When Visual Studio compiles your code, it creates a DLL with the class
definition(s) inside it, and the ASPX page uses that compiled class as its'
CodeBehind. The .pdb file is the debugging database for that assembly.
Visual Studio.Net will compile all of your CodeBehind files into this one
DLL, creating a single Class Library for your entire app.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Wayne Wengert

Kevin;

Thanks. I'll do some more digging to see if I can figure out what is going
on.

Wayne