undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4*

Analabha Roy

Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 3, and recently I've encountered serious problems
with apps that need python to run.

running any such app gives errors like:

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/iconv.so: undefined
symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUTF8String

Well, all apps dont produce same error but similar errors. All undefined
symbols start with PyUnicodeUCS4.
What is wrong???

I googled for it and couldn't find anything other than a link to this
newsgroup.
I think my installation of python (python2.3) might be broken. What is the
best way to fix this?

I'd appreciate any advice on this matter.

Regards,
AR

Fredrik Lundh

Analabha said:
I'm running Fedora Core 3, and recently I've encountered serious problems
with apps that need python to run.

running any such app gives errors like:

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/iconv.so: undefined
symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUTF8String

Well, all apps dont produce same error but similar errors. All undefined
symbols start with PyUnicodeUCS4.
What is wrong???

Python can be built with UCS2-based or UCS4-based Unicode support.
It looks like you're trying to use extensions built for a UCS4-based version
with an UCS2 build.

(I think, but I'm not sure, that installing extensions built for certain Red
Hat versions on FC3 may cause this problem)

For instructions on how to build the core interpreter with Unicode
support, run "./configure --help" and look for the "--enable-unicode"
option.

</F>

Analabha Roy

Fredrik said:
Python can be built with UCS2-based or UCS4-based Unicode support.
It looks like you're trying to use extensions built for a UCS4-based
version with an UCS2 build.

Thanks for your response.
I did not build python from source at all, but installed it from rpm
(python-2.3.4-13.1) downloaded from fc3 repositories.

Is it necessary to build it from source? If so, should I download the
tarball from their website or downlaod some kind of "python-devel" rpm?

Fredrik Lundh

Analabha said:
I did not build python from source at all, but installed it from rpm
(python-2.3.4-13.1) downloaded from fc3 repositories.

the problem isn't with the python interpreter, it's that you're using
add-on libraries that don't match your interpreter installation.

where did you get the RHPL library, for example?

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/iconv.so:
undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUTF8String

(iirc, RHPL is the RedHat Python Library)

</F>

Analabha Roy

Fredrik said:
the problem isn't with the python interpreter, it's that you're using
add-on libraries that don't match your interpreter installation.

where did you get the RHPL library, for example?

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/iconv.so:
undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUTF8String

Oh, ok. Everything in my system is installed from rpms from apt repos for
Fedora Core 3. For instance

$rpm -qa|grep rhpl

rhpl-0.148.1-2

Which I got from one of the repos in my /etc/apt/sources.list file

For some reason, FC-3 installed both python2.3 and python2.4. It could be
that the addon libraries are for python2.4, but are configged to use
python2.3 interpreter or something (you'll have to excuse my ignorance
about such matters, I've not learned python).
I uninstalled python2.4 completely, and rpm uninstalled some python bindings
for other things as dependencies. Presumably, the rpm deps left
(PyQT, pygtk, rhpl etc)
should contain those 'add-on' libraries you mentioned (I dunno though) and
they depend on the python2.3 rpm (still installed). However, the same
problems above remain. Unless the packages are broken, what else could be
wrong?