Undefined symbol PyUnicodeUCS2_DecodeUTF8

Manish Jain

Hi all,

I am using Gnome on FreeBSD 7.1. A few days back, my gnome crashed and I
have had to spend over 4 days recovering my gnome environment. Pretty
much everything is okay now except for a few python-dependent
applications (alacarte, for instance), which exit immediately with the
following error message :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/alacarte", line 22, in <module>
from Alacarte.MainWindow import MainWindow
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 19, in <module>
import gtk, gtk.glade, gmenu, gobject, gio
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 38, in <module>
import gobject as _gobject
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject/__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
from glib import spawn_async, idle_add, timeout_add, timeout_add_seconds, \
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/glib/__init__.py", line 30, in <module>
from glib._glib import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/glib/_glib.so: Undefined symbol "PyUnicodeUCS2_DecodeUTF8"

[1]+ Exit 1 alacarte

I have searched google/yahoo for any help without luck. I have rebuilt
all python and gtk2 ports from scratch but the error continues.

Can anybody please point out the source and/or remedy for the problem ?
I am using the python25 port.

--

Thank you and Regards
Manish Jain

NB : Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.

Diez B. Roggisch

Manish said:
[...]

Your problem is that your Python interpreter is not compiled with the
same settings as the binary extensions you use. Python can use UTF16 or
UTF32 as internal representation for unicode. AFAIK nowadays,
distributions agreed to use the latter.

The gtk-binding of yours seems to be compiled against an interpreter
that uses the former.

So you have to either recompile python to match the extensions
expectations - or the other way round. I'd suggest the latter, as you
might have a mixture of extensions which some of then won't work with
the new interpreter.

Diez