    I could live with a comma separated .csv file instead of a .xls to
    view it in excel.

    Please advice.

    KK, Oct 7, 2008

  2. If you are refering to std::string, then it's a
    std::basic_string<char> so you only get bytes.

    If, as it is most probable, your CHAR_BITS==8, then you can only store
    the codes of ISO-8859-1 characters in these strings.

    0x410 is not the unicode for a special character. It's the unicode for
    the CYRILLIC_CAPITAL_LETTER_A.

    I would advise you to get a better understanding of characters, codes,
    the STL, I/O, files. Start reading:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf-8
    http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/
    http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/

    etc...

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Oct 7, 2008

  3. KK

    James Kanze Guest

    Nonsense. I regularly use char for Unicode (UTF-8) and ISO
    8859-15; in other places, other ISO 8859 codes, or JIS are also
    used. Not to mention various Windows (and earlier MS-DOS) code
    pages, or EBCDIC (which is still used, in 8 bit bytes, on IBM
    mainframes).

    Still, I don't know what he really has or wants. Some posters
    seem to think that he has a textual representation of the
    unicode code values, e.g. strings like "0041". Which seems
    wierd to me, but who knows.
    Well, that's a special character to me:). I certainly don't
    use it very often.
    The best reference I know about these issues is "Fonts and
    Encoding", by Yannis Haralambous. (I've not seen the English
    translation---I hope it's better than the translations of
    English into French we usually get.) And of course, he'll also
    need to find out about Excel. But I'd be very surprised if it
    didn't have an option for reading UTF-8, at least in CSV.
    (Alternatively, he could use UTF-16LE; I think that's the native
    code set under Windows.)

    James Kanze, Oct 7, 2008