Upload to SQL and retrieve

Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Ok so I have a site uploading to an SQL DB via an asp.net form (see below).
<<<
Imports System.IO
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Partial Class _Default
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub uploadButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles uploadButton.Click

Dim filePath As String
filePath = Me.FileInput.Value

If Not File.Exists(filePath) Then
Me.statusLabel.Text = "File path is invalid. Please try again."
Return
End If

Dim fileType As String
fileType = Path.GetExtension(filePath)

Dim fileName As String
fileName = Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(filePath)

Dim fileLength As Integer
fileLength = Me.FileInput.PostedFile.ContentLength

Dim fileStream As Stream
Dim buffer(fileLength) As Byte

fileStream = Me.FileInput.PostedFile.InputStream
fileStream.Read(buffer, 0, fileLength)

Dim theConnection As SqlConnection
theConnection = New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ImagesConnectionString").ConnectionString)

Try

Dim uploadSqlCommand As SqlCommand
uploadSqlCommand = New SqlCommand("UploadImages", theConnection)

uploadSqlCommand.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure

uploadSqlCommand.Parameters.Add("@ImageName", SqlDbType.VarChar, 50)
uploadSqlCommand.Parameters.Add("@Image", SqlDbType.Image)
uploadSqlCommand.Parameters.Add("@ImageType", SqlDbType.VarChar, 5)
uploadSqlCommand.Parameters.Add("@TimeDateAdded", SqlDbType.DateTime)

uploadSqlCommand.Parameters(0).Value = fileName
uploadSqlCommand.Parameters(1).Value = buffer
uploadSqlCommand.Parameters(2).Value = fileType
uploadSqlCommand.Parameters(3).Value = Date.Now

theConnection.Open()

uploadSqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

theConnection.Close()

Me.statusLabel.Text = "File was successfully submitted to database"

Catch ex As Exception
Me.statusLabel.Text = "File was NOT successfully sbmitted to database. Exception was: " & ex.Message
Finally
If theConnection.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
theConnection.Close()
End If
End Try

End Sub
End Class

And this page works perfect. But I need the other side of it and be able to pull that image or doc or what ever back out of the DB and use the content in other pages in my site. I am using a stored proc to add the image and have a stored proc to get the image just not the page yet. Maybe some one can lead me to an example of this out on the new or possibly have one that they made.
The stored proc I have to get the image (still as a script):

CREATE PROCEDURE GetImages
AS
SET NOCOUNT ON
SELECT ImageName,Image,ImageType,ID as ImageIdentity
FROM dbo.Images
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF
GO
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

I do think it will work. I cannot tell until I actually get the page to test it.
By the way i'm running server 2003, .net 2.0, sqlexpress 2005 and creating my pages in VS2005.

Any help would be great,
Thanks to any one who can
Tim