Uploading files

Dave Navarro

I am using some free Upload code by Jacob Gilley:

''***************************************
'' File: Upload.asp
'' Author: Jacob "Beezle" Gilley
'' Email: (e-mail address removed)
'' Date: 12/07/2000
'' Comments: The code for the Upload, CByteString,
'' CWideString subroutines was originally
'' written by Philippe Collignon...or so
'' he claims. Also, I am not responsible
'' for any ill effects this script may
'' cause and provide this script "AS IS".
'' Enjoy!
''****************************************

However, it takes a really long time for it to write large files to
disk. I am uploading files that range from 500k to 2.5 megs in size.
It can take Jacob's code up to 2 minutes to write the file to disk.

Should I just buy one of the upload controls? Are they any faster?

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Should I just buy one of the upload controls? Are they any faster?

Most have eval versions that are fully functional but time out, you could
download one of those (or multiple) and test it out.

Nobody can really answer you unless they know they have the exact same
hardware, bandwidth, file stucture, disk layout, etc. In other words: more
variables than component vs script.

I think there was quite a bit of research some time back that showed that
components are always faster above some file size threshold, but why take
anybody's word for it? You have all the tools you need to verify for
yourself...

Dave Navarro

Most have eval versions that are fully functional but time out, you could
download one of those (or multiple) and test it out.

Nobody can really answer you unless they know they have the exact same
hardware, bandwidth, file stucture, disk layout, etc. In other words: more
variables than component vs script.

I think there was quite a bit of research some time back that showed that
components are always faster above some file size threshold, but why take
anybody's word for it? You have all the tools you need to verify for
yourself...

Just trying to save time. It used to be okay to ask for people's
opinions. But I am guessing those days are gone...

--Dave

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I think there was quite a bit of research some time back that showed
that
Just trying to save time. It used to be okay to ask for people's
opinions. But I am guessing those days are gone...

I'm not saying it's not okay to ask for opinions. Some questions, however,
have far too many variables to expect any opinion answers to be reasonably
accurate.