USB device

Rene Davila

------=_Part_1454_9180304.1130778317629

Hi, I would like to know how I can reduce de size of the Ruby distribution.
This is because I want to make a aplication that run from a USB memory and =
don't want to drag all the ruby distrubution. I'm asking if there are some
files in the Ruby distribution that I can erase and keeping the basic
function of ruby.

Kevin Brown

Hi, I would like to know how I can reduce de size of the Ruby distribution.
This is because I want to make a aplication that run from a USB memory and
I don't want to drag all the ruby distrubution. I'm asking if there are
some files in the Ruby distribution that I can erase and keeping the basic
function of ruby.

If you're just looking to distribute a single ruby application, then Ruby2Exe
will package up only what is needed to run the application, including a ruby
executable. That might be what you're looking for.

Rene Davila

------=_Part_1923_11297466.1130780468688

Thank you so much, it's what I need, even better that the solution I was
thinking

soxinbox

rubyScript2exe rocks. Thanks to whoever wrote it.

Thank you so much, it's what I need, even better that the solution I was
thinking

Kero

Hi, I would like to know how I can reduce de size of the Ruby distribution.
This is because I want to make a aplication that run from a USB memory and =
don't want to drag all the ruby distrubution. I'm asking if there are some
files in the Ruby distribution that I can erase and keeping the basic
function of ruby.

I don't know how small your USB stick is, but mine holds ruby about 64
times.

Dependencies can make it grow quite a bit (tcl/tk, readline, etcetera).
Perhaps it is more useful to state I have plenty of space left on my 32
MB of flash memory in my iPAQ. 16 MB is taken by the basic image, so
Ruby and dependencies are small enough. Yes, it is a compressed file
system, but I can run that on a USB stick as well.

$ pwd
/home/kero/iPAQ/Ruby/ruby-1.8.3/ipkg
$ wc *ipk
146 662 30170 irb1.8_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
56 340 16214 ruby1.8-curses_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
1319 8058 465568 ruby1.8-dev_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
28 161 5960 ruby1.8-doc_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
33 152 7468 ruby1.8-readline_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
827 4831 223992 ruby1.8-tk-dump_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
4477 25930 1331604 ruby1.8_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
8 30 650 ruby_1.8.3-1_arm.ipk
6894 40164 2081626 total

| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+