User Control not loading properly

anthonyroche

I am trying to achieve the following:

screen.

My Scenario: I am loading the control using the following within the
Page_Load from a PageContent.ascx UserControl

Dim _control as Control
_control = LoadControl("News.ascx")
'Then render to screen
Protected _HTML as String = RenderControlToHTML(_control)

This seems to load the user control, but within I News.ascx control I
have a datagrid which should get the TOP 7 news headlines from the DB
and return it to the grid.

[News.ascx]
<%@ Control Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="News.ascx.vb" Inherits="eWiz.NewsHeadlines"
TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" %>
News Datagrid
<asp:DataGrid id="uiNewsHeadlines" runat="server"
AutoGenerateColumns="False">
<Columns>
<asp:TemplateColumn>
<ItemTemplate>
<TABLE cellSpacing="2" cellPadding="2" width="100%" border="0">
<TR vAlign="top">
<TD class="dgItem" align="left">
<asp:Label id="uiNewsTitle" runat="Server" Text='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,"Title")%>'>
</asp:Label>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:DataGrid>

Displaying to screen:
I have a function that takes the _control and outputs the 'rendered'
HTML

Private Function RenderControlToHTML(ByVal _control As Control) As
String
'Get the rendered HTML
Dim SB As New StringBuilder
Dim SW As New StringWriter(SB)
Dim htmlTW As New HtmlTextWriter(SW)
_control.Page = Page
_control.EnableViewState = False
_control.RenderControl(htmlTW)
Return SB.ToString()
End Function

My Prob: How do I load the "News.ascx" controls in this instance to
look into the code behind news.ascx and actually populate the datagrid
with news headlines. What I get now is only the "News Datagrid" text
to display.

I have tested news.ascx by placing it within another page not trying
to load it dynamically and it does return the news headlines.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Anthony

Robert Koritnik

You already loaded the control. Why do you try to render it this way? Just
put it inside a container where it should reside. Put a Placeholder in place
where your new ascx should be and just call this after your _control =
LoadControl():

_control = LoadControl("News.ascx");
placeholder1.Controls.Add(_control);

voila. Done. Works every single time.